MAVIC 821 shifters/gear shift levers

lavielemond

Dirt Disciple
Hey all,

I'm simply searching for a pair of Mavic 821 downtube shift levers, which are indexed for a 7-speed setup (although apparently they can also be used with 8-speed as well, but I only require them for a 7-speed Shimano rear cassette & 600 Ultegra 'tricolour' hub)...the link below shows what they look like, as I fear that the lack of branding upon them may mean that many who own them may not actually know that they have them?!!

http://velobase.com/ViewComponent.aspx? ... 5&Enum=104

Thanks heaps to anybody who reads this & even more so, to someone who can help me out!!

Cheers & best wishes for now...Matt.

mdvineng":3pyl5cv3 said:
why not use a mavic rear mech too, real sweet to use and same geometry as Dura ace.

G'day!

I already own an 840 rear derailleur & 862 front derailleur (as well as the 631 'starfish' cranks, 305 headset, 440 brake calipers & a NOS 610 bottom bracket), so now I simply (hardly simple it seems, dammit!!) require a pair of 821 indexed shifters & 440 brake levers. Anyone?! Bueller, Bueller?!!

Seeing as though 5 of my other 'vintage' bikes are running all 6400/01/03 componentry (& I own 8 sets of high level 'vintage' wheelsets - w/ Mavic Open 4CD & MA40, Wolber TX Profil & Rigida CSB DP18 rims & 600 Ultegra 'tricolour' hubs, plus heaps more spare front/rear 32H/36H 'tricolour' hubs/freehubs) & I've read that the indexed Mavic shifters & derailleurs work very well with the 'tricolour' hubs/cassettes, I'm thinking that I will have plenty of room to switch wheelsets, depending upon the terrain for that days' ride (rather than switching cassettes if I'm headed for the nearby hills that day). And I have a couple more wheelsets (one with Open 4CD rims & the other with TX Profil rims) coming shortly, so soon there will be 10 wheelsets of this type to choose from for 6 bikes, including the Team ADR-Agrigel Bottecchia with Mavic componentry!

But thanks heaps for trying to help, it's always very much appreciated, mate...

Cheers & best wishes from "Down Under"...Matt.

PS. I see that you're from my #1 favourite place in England (although I'm a lifelong Gunner & was fortunate enough to attend our final 3 EPL games at Highbury when we won the 97/98 Double - only for United to trump us with the bloody Treble the following season!!)...I'm OBSESSED with all things Factory Records, New Order, Joy Division, The Stone Roses, The Happy Mondays, James, The Smiths, 808 State, etc...I visited Affleck's Palace & The Hacienda (FAC51) only a year after Manchester City Police had closed the latter of the two buildings down, dammit!! But I do own a brick from the building, signed by Peter Hook from New Order (relatives from Bury brought it down here to Oz with them in their luggage on their last visit here, after I bought it on eBay!!), as well as nearly all of Peter Saville's original artwork/posters/fliers for Tony Wilson (RIP), the original minutes from several of their meetings & even all of their original floorplans!! As I previously wrote, OBSESSED!! Apologies for my verbosity here, btw...

Re:

What no Mavic hubs, shame on you :LOL: I run all mavic gear on my Alan and Frank Herety special and sweet as can be, the front mechs will work quite happily with triples too. I sadly live near both the cricket and footy grounds, just around the corner from what used to be the Hardrock cafe, saw Bowie, Focus, Moody Blues etc before it turned into a BnQ, now closed. The levers do turn up occasionally on ebay but not more than twice a year in my experience, keep looking. I might be over to Melbourne next winter to catch up with an old mate of mine, looking forward to it, especially the sunshine. If I see any levers going I'll nab them and pm you.
best regards
Dave

G'day Dave!
I'm so sorry re: the long delay in replying to your post but I've undergone further surgery upon my heel & fractured ankle, dammit! Funny that you wrote about the Mavic hubs, because I'm now interested in buying a pair of 571/2 hubs - if I can find them at a 'decent' price, that is?! Which Mavic hubs are you running anyway, mate?
Not happy to be living near the two Old Traffords, I'm guessing?! Ah well, at least the upcoming cricket ones are a little less rowdy than their football-following colleagues, yes?!
And thanks so much for your feedback & very generous offer to let me know if you see any 821 shifters about, VERY much appreciated, my friend. And if you are visiting "Down Under" later this year, you MUST contact me first & catch up, eh?!! How tall are you, btw? I have 9 bikes but if you're over 6' tall, then I'll have to borrow one from a mate for you to ride!!
Cheers & best wishes for now from Oz, mate...I'd 'chat' some more but I have a s**tload of replying to do, as you can probably comprehend - you're the first of MANY responses!!
Matt.

Hi Matt, hope your recovers well. As to hubs, I run 501's on 1990 Frank Herety and a mix of 500/550's on the early 80's Alan depending on wheels being used. Fantastic hubs and a doddle to service. Sometimes the cricket crowd are worse than the footy fans and since T20 started any chance of sleep before 11pm has disappeared. Please pm me your email addy and home address.

Re:

8 speed is purported to work with 10speed ergolevers too. Just thought I'd throw that in the mix.
Been looking for those shifters myself for a while. Also run 501 hubs btw
Good luck finding them, I've kind of given up looking

Mike

Re: Re:

Mike Muz 67":2qgm5uqd said:
8 speed is purported to work with 10speed ergolevers too. Just thought I'd throw that in the mix.
Been looking for those shifters myself for a while. Also run 501 hubs btw
Good luck finding them, I've kind of given up looking

Mike

G'day Mike!

I know that it's now more than 4 months since our previous correspondence with one another, so I hope that you're doing well & enjoyed your summer, mate?

I ended up buying 3 sets of the 571/2 Mavic hubs & completely understand where you guys were coming from re: Mavic hub sets & their remarkable quality!!

Anyway, how did you fare with your "hunt" for 821 shifters, although you did admit that you had somewhat given up on looking for them?! I ask because I finally found & purchased a nice used pair for my ADR-Agrigel Bottecchia build (replica of one of Lemond's 3 types of bikes used in the '89 TDF) from a French seller a couple of months ago, & now I have a NOS/NIP pair from a US seller, brand spanking new & packaged separately in yellow/black Mavic "skin pack" packaging, together with the internal gear cables & the rear derailleur housing section!!

So how badly do you still want a pair of 821's?! I'm going to use the used ones on my Bottecchia & am still not sure about whether to retain these NOS ones (despite their quality, one day I might need a replacement for one of them & may never find another pair ever again, despite my recent "purple patch" of luck in acquiring 2 sets within the space of a few months) or to sell them? I certainly won't sell them together with all of my other unused/unwanted parts on eBay & would only sell them to someone with whom I have communicated upon a forum like this one & who truly desires a pair as I did when I started this thread in pursuit of a pair. And I would have to receive a decent price for them - they're my two criteria for parting with them...

As well as the two pairs that I was fortunate enough to find, I have only ever see one other pair for sale (also NOS/NIP) about a year ago but according to the seller, he sold them to "some crazy Scandinavian guy who pays obscene amounts for NOS Mavic parts" for a crapload of money!! However, this latest pair that I scored were only being offered for sale within the States & I had him send them to my Aunt in San Francisco, who in turn shipped them to me.

Anyway, I hope that you're doing well, Mike...cheers & best wishes from "Down Under", mate!

Matt.

Back