Four Bar Full Suspension Bikes

sam_white

Diamond Back Fan
Thought I'd start a thread to list full suspension bikes with a fully active '4 bar' rear linkage.

If you're reading this and not sure what I'm on about, search online for '4 bar' and 'faux bar', in short it's all to do with the dropout pivot location either chainstay (4 bar) or seat stay (faux bar...) - the 4 bar is fully active under acceleration and braking, whereas the faux bar acts as a fancy single pivot bike.

Known originally as a Horst link, these days called an FSR link after Specialized bought the patent.
Faux bar such as Kona's are popular, partly I assume as there's no patent issues...

There are a few big names to start off my list, all well known:
AMP B4
GT LTS
Specialized FSR

Then there are a few smaller manufacturers, some of whom avoid patent obligations by not selling in the USA - most of these names have been applied to more than one frame design:
Boardman Team FS
Carrera Banshee
Voodoo Canzo
Claud Butler CBR
Scott Genius 40 / 2.0
Intense M1
Turner 5 Spot
Identiti

Potentially I'm interested in acquiring one of these... hence the interest. Feel free to add others and / or photos.

Heres my Intense, it doesnt look like this now as its been adjusted a bit since

file.php

Re:

This was my 2010 voodoo canzo, my first full suss that I must have bought as a NOS framein 2015/16 and built up to my own spec. I believe 2010 was the last year voodoos were genuine Joe Murray American imports (distributed by Halfords) before the name was licensed by Halfords to make their own versions and specs.

Attachments

• IMG_14112020_231350_(950_x_713_pixel).jpg
    IMG_14112020_231350_(950_x_713_pixel).jpg
    213 KB · Views: 1,381
Re:

Horst link bikes, all amps not just the b3 have them, other brands either licensed or bought rear ends and fitted them to their own stable.

I've had a few, amp b3, 4 and 5, mongoose amplifier and still have an unbuilt litespeed obed fs (ti front end, b3 rear). Fat chance, dagger and others used the sane design.

I've had others, a couple of sts, fsr and still have an s-works enduro hanging in the garage.

I'm sure I read something about lawsuits and the gt rts as well (I have a team rts which I'll never part with, love the design). I'm working on a disc version of the rts, have had the rear converted, just need to build it up.

I'll be honest and say I've never quite understood how a few pivots can be patented as suspension logically needs them but patent law is a subject I know little about. Nor suspension design to be fair.

If you fancy an s-works enduro, I am up for selling mine as I can't see me building it up as my rides don't really require rear suspension.

LGF that Intense looks great.

Added a photo of the Turner 5 Spot and the Claud Butler ARC that got me investigating this design a few weeks ago.

Attachments

• arc.jpg
    arc.jpg
    365.4 KB · Views: 1,359
  • Turner1.JPG
    Turner1.JPG
    256.1 KB · Views: 1,359
I think it must have been MBR where I read that the Horst link patent has now expired so it's a free for all, now.
For Madmax1993, I bought a Voodoo in 2011 which had a "Designed by Joe Murray" sticker on the frame. It was well specced for £1000 but always seemed somehow sluggush. It was a Canzo 26" from Halfords.
Undeterred I bought another Halfords special in November 2016, a Boardman FS Pro which also has the Horst link. They were £1500 and, whilst I wasn't really in the market, I couldn't resist a 20% off any bike week. £1200 for a complete SRAM GX 11 speed, Pike fork and Guide brakes. It's still my go to bike. I've replaced the pivots and the usual "Triggers Broom" story has taken place with other components.

I've a stripped kona here. Was originally an 18" kikapu deluxe

Removed all the paint, dear god what a job, and replaced all the bearings, filled a few wee dunts. Got some etching primer, ready to be eventually painted to whatever looks nice(Is cheapest).

Attachments

• Kona.jpg
    Kona.jpg
    40.4 KB · Views: 1,237
dyna-ti":2ompu8nv said:
I've a stripped kona here. Was originally an 18" kikapu deluxe

That's not a four bar bike - No FSR/horst link on the chainstay so avoided any patent issues held by Amp or Specialized.

Happy to be corrected but I don't think they've ever made a four bar bike...

Here's a couple more.

Giant XTC Team and a newer Mondraker Prayer

Attachments

• Mondraker Prayer.jpg
    Mondraker Prayer.jpg
    95.6 KB · Views: 1,192
  • Giant XTC Team.jpg
    Giant XTC Team.jpg
    367.2 KB · Views: 1,192
That Voodoo Canzo is in my hands now (my eldests FS bike, while he has a 29er hardtail for XC stuff), I've also got a Kona Dawg Faux bar design for myself. I've also got for total contrast a Giant Anthem that uses their Maestro suspension design.

The Cube Stereo range is also 4 bar link design.

Back