New 26" tyres

Mikey08

Kona Fan
Hi all.

Soon I will be in possession of a lovley Y2K Kona Kula and have been gathering parts for it. Ive been out of the game for almost a decade so need advice on modern XC tyres. It seems the options for 26" and much less these days and all the brands that offer gumwall only do them in 650b and 29" :facepalm:

I like the look of the conti X Kings and the Vittoria Barzo. What would you guys reccomend? Anything from Schwalbe or Maxxis? Im looking for fast rolling yet grippy and lightweight too.

What are people running for UK winter conditions these days?

I think the widest I will be able to fit in the frame is 2.25" and I will be running them tubeless.

Conti Trail/mountain/etc kings are good. Slightly weak side walls though so don't put too much pressure in them.

I used to run Speed kings 10 years ago and found them manageable in wet conditions, super light and supple run with Conti Supersonic Tubes. Dont know why they changed them though, the new version looks terrible. I've never tried tubeless so looking forward to that. Wouldn't running a weak sidewall tyre at low pressure make pinch flats more of a issue, or does tubeless remove that issue?

Mikey657":1lzmb5xy said:
I used to run Speed kings 10 years ago and found them manageable in wet conditions, super light and supple run with Conti Supersonic Tubes. Dont know why they changed them though, the new version looks terrible. I've never tried tubeless so looking forward to that. Wouldn't running a weak sidewall tyre at low pressure make pinch flats more of a issue, or does tubeless remove that issue?

Pinch flats are when the innertube gets trapped between rim and ground so tubeless should sort that. Thinner sidewalls at low pressures will deform the tyre, dh type tyres have thicker/stronger sidewalls to help keep the tyre stable at lower pressures. The main issue i have with the thin sidewall tyres i have run is damage from rocks etc.

mk one":c80d8kgw said:
Mikey657":c80d8kgw said:

Pinch flats are when the innertube gets trapped between rim and ground so tubeless should sort that. Thinner sidewalls at low pressures will deform the tyre, dh type tyres have thicker/stronger sidewalls to help keep the tyre stable at lower pressures. The main issue i have with the thin sidewall tyres i have run is damage from rocks etc.

Food for thought....

I was curious if a lightweight tubeless set up could still pinch flat. as in the sidewall of the tyre bursting rather than the tube if you get my drift.

Is this where tyre inserts enter the equation?

Cheers gradeA.

Looks to be the only skinwall option available, other than Billy Bonkers but they are DJ tyres.

Incidentally the Kenda Booster is sold as a DJ tyre but shares the same tread as the 27'5/29" XC so its usable as a XC Trail tyre. Looks like a old Panaracer Dart :cool: :cool:

I emailed Kenda to ask if they ship to uk when buying direct through their site. Also asked if they could point me to a uk distributor who stocked the Booster - I've not found any through my own searches. They have failed to reply... :roll:

Back