What is this old ali hardtail?

justageezer

Retro Newbie
Please could someone identify this old ali hardtail frame for me?
It's very like an Orange Evo 2 - but with a flared downtube at the headtube
instead of a gusset, and no extra support on top of the top tube at the headtube.
The headtube shoulders for the headset cups are also sloped on my frame, not sharp.
The top tube is oval at the headtube blending to flattened rectangular at the seat tube.
The down tube is oval at the headtube (with flaring at the bottom),
blending to flattened rectangular at the seat tube.
The chainstays are vertically rectangular whilst the seatstays are a single round
tube joined to the seat tube with a triangular-ish gusset-thingy.
(Sorry if I'm getting too technical!).
The frame has disc-brake caliper mounts as well as V-brake mounts but the cable
guides on the top tube suit cables, despite there being c-clip guides on the seatstay
to accommodate a hydraulic line.
The dropouts, headset, bottom bracket and seat tube are all 'standard' old-skool
sizes.
Finally, there is a serial number on the bottom of the bottom bracket shell:
SW0400398
Some old Trek models look similar, and I'm sure it's of the Evo 2 / Trek 8500 era - but can anyone tell me what it is please?
Pics:

Thanks in advance,
Paul

ps - apologies for post formatting - forum noob :(

Attachments

• MTB Frame 1001.jpg
    MTB Frame 1001.jpg
    168.4 KB · Views: 1,903
  • MTB Frame 1003.jpg
    MTB Frame 1003.jpg
    204.4 KB · Views: 1,903
  • MTB Frame 1004.jpg
    MTB Frame 1004.jpg
    143.5 KB · Views: 1,903
  • MTB Frame 1006.jpg
    MTB Frame 1006.jpg
    210.1 KB · Views: 1,903
  • MTB Frame 1007.jpg
    MTB Frame 1007.jpg
    181.8 KB · Views: 1,903
  • MTB Frame 1008.jpg
    MTB Frame 1008.jpg
    134.7 KB · Views: 1,903
  • MTB Frame 1009.jpg
    MTB Frame 1009.jpg
    153.5 KB · Views: 1,903
Re:

Thanks, I know some Trek models look similar, but those with disc brakes I've looked at (4500, 8500) had oval chainstays and different dropouts - unless anyone has seen a model like my frame. (Trek did seem to make lots of models and released regular versions of many of them though).
Thanks for looking,
Paul

Re:

Bump for some fresh eyeballs, and some pics of the assembled frame, first straight out of the shed I bought it from (with original? decals), and then as I've put it together, just in case it jogs any memories.

Attachments

• mtb-o.jpg
    mtb-o.jpg
    263.9 KB · Views: 1,644
  • mtb-l.jpg
    mtb-l.jpg
    127.1 KB · Views: 1,644
  • mtb-r.jpg
    mtb-r.jpg
    132 KB · Views: 1,644
  • mtb-f.jpg
    mtb-f.jpg
    125.5 KB · Views: 1,644
  • mtb-b.jpg
    mtb-b.jpg
    143.6 KB · Views: 1,643
Re:

So I found some pictures of an Iron Horse Warrior from the early 2000's that's very nearly this frame - apart from the drop-outs. I can't remember this brand or their models (apparently they were sold in Walmarts in the US - not a great sign!); they seem quite Schwinn-like without the distinctive Schwinn behind-the-bottom-bracket chainstay bracing, and as scant says this frame has some Schwinn-like qualities.
The quality of tubing and construction on my frame suggest it's not a "no-name" import (I think!) - but what is it?!

Re:

999 views - I'm sure the thousandth will be the one who recognises this bike :) Any advance on Orange Evo2 / Trek 4500/8500 / Schwinn Homegrown / Iron Horse Warrior? Early Marin maybe? Someone, somewhere knows!

Trek

4300-1000-100-0c57e2b.jpg

Thanks Mikey08 - but see 3rd post, or compare dropouts / chainstays to my frame. Tantalisingly similar - but different :(

(Also no bolt in my wishbone FWIW).

Back