Foam grips

Imlach

98+ BoTM Winner
Feedback
View
I've been thinking about what grips to try out next. My main bike currently has Odi Rogue, and I quite like them but I'd like to try out some foam grips for my new build as I used to love the compliance and feeling of foam grips. My one requirement is that the foam grip has a lock on system, as I've really come to like that system on the Odi grips.

Hope you guys have some recommendations for me! :cool:

Cheers
Chris

Maybe I'm missing something, but I always liked the look of foam grips - tried a pair of Ricthey grips - looked awesome but one drop of rain and they were as slippery as freak :(

ishaw":2uukw8uj said:
I'm about to fit some aerozine foam grips. They were pretty cheap on planet x.

Let me know how you like them when you've been out for a spin!

mamadirt":2uukw8uj said:
Maybe I'm missing something, but I always liked the look of foam grips - tried a pair of Ricthey grips - looked awesome but one drop of rain and they were as slippery as freak :(

I used to ride Ritchey foam grips, and yes they do get less grippy in the wet. I imagine it's a lot less of an issue if you wear gloves. Personally I still liked them a lot, and in the dry they were amazing. I think some foam grips are far better at dealing with wet conditions, though. A lot of people seem to like ESI Chunky grips, but they're sadly not lock on.

Re:

Most lock on grips have a solid core to hold them firm. That’s not great on a foam grip.
I’ve used ESI in the past and they can be great on a certain kind of bike. Fat bike great, but didn’t like them on full sus as they felt a bit vague when throwing it about.
Never any problems in the wet. Slight rotational creep in the outside edge over time though. PITA to get on and off, needed a good spray of brake cleaner to get it to slide on.

Got a used pair you can have have for a fiver posted if you want to try them out without committing to full price.

Re: Re:

clubby":1en1ccep said:
Most lock on grips have a solid core to hold them firm. That’s not great on a foam grip.
I’ve used ESI in the past and they can be great on a certain kind of bike. Fat bike great, but didn’t like them on full sus as they felt a bit vague when throwing it about.
Never any problems in the wet. Slight rotational creep in the outside edge over time though. PITA to get on and off, needed a good spray of brake cleaner to get it to slide on.

Got a used pair you can have have for a fiver posted if you want to try them out without committing to full price.

Might have to give ESI a go then. I wasn't aware of how lock on systems impact the performance/feeling of foam grips. I think I've just gotten so used to the ease of installation and removal with lock on grips.

I appreciate the offer but I don't want to hassle you with international postage, as I'm in Denmark. I think I'll be able to get them on a discount on one of our online shops over here.

Cheers
Chris

I've just bought some Ritchey Ergo Foam Lock on grips. Seem really nice, although can't comment on wet performance. Foam is fairly hard but I tend not to wear gloves and they're nice. Best price I found was Amazon.

Have some ESI on a set of bars still from an old bike, really liked them though they were a bit thin, since found out they make thicker versions though. They are a more dense foam than the Ritchey grip so don't absorb water so much and don't loose grip either.

I ended up buying the esi chunky, they're not lock on but very very comfy and water resistant.

Just got some ESI Chunkys too. I saw a vid where a guy fits them using a tough of washing up liquid and lots water. Is this a good alternative to Iopropyl alcohol?

Back