Wheelset rim change

66 triumph daytona

Senior Retro Guru
Feedback
View
I have a DT Swiss/WCS wheelset from 2010 and as the rims are very ropey(cosmetically) I want to change them and relace to new 29er rims.The hubs are 240S and the best Ive ever had and Im terrified of damaging/cracking the flanges on the rebuild,Ive never rebuilt on older well used hubs,am I being over cautious?

66 triumph daytona":11g0suy9 said:
am I being over cautious?
a little, yes.
If they have a low spoke count 24f/28r for example, you are at more risk.
If they are higher count, I'd just "unbuild" them rather than cutting spokes. And inspect closely before rebuilding.
Low spoke count 29ers are also a bugger to build.
240s aren't exactly known for cracking, so I'd have no issues rebuilding with new rims.

Re:

Just take your time unbuilding them, release the tension slowly and evenly.

Rebuild with the same care and you should be fine. Follow the same lacing pattern.

What I usually do may be controversial but here goes. Slacken the spokes to make the wheel floppy. Go round the wheel and move the spokes consecutively to the new rim, one at a time. Tighten until the spoke threads are just disappearing. Tension to the best of your ability.
Reusing spokes in this way is notorious for causing them to break later. Only it doesn't. They are as tough as brand new wheels.
It is, of course, your choice.

Pretty sure the op's original wheels are 26", so you're going to need to stretch those spokes quite a bit.........

mattr":40p3ocsf said:
Pretty sure the op's original wheels are 26", so you're going to need to stretch those spokes quite a bit.........
:oops: Good point, well made! I should have read it.

Back