1x10

tintin40

Retrobike Rider
Gold Trader
98+ BoTM Winner
Klein Fan
Feedback
View
any body tried 1x10 speed? what gearing combination works best?

Re:

Al depends on what sort of riding

For MTB, I never go bigger than a 28 at the back, so logically 32 ring with a 11-28 cassette

Re:

My enduro in 1x11 (11-46 and a 32T oval chainring), I rode a 1x10 on my XC bike (11-42 and 32T chainring)

I ride natural and trail centre and 11-46 works well for me with the 11-42 I was having to "suck it up" sometimes but with a dodgy lower back I need to spin more than grind

Re: Re:

Mike Muz":2d6k6jp3 said:

For MTB, I never go bigger than a 28 at the back, so logically 32 ring with a 11-28 cassette
I am a 5ft8 titch so haven't got the legs to pull the gears Mike can

I run 1x10 on my modern hardtail, not sure what gearing, i will check later, but i should imagine its not as low as a 28 on the back :shock:

Re: Re:

Mike Muz":1s5fvkfb said:

We run the same. From all replies this seem a good set up. May give it a go soon. See how i get on with it. Sounds i will be happy
Ta all

Couple of things;

If you're happy with larger jumps between gears, you can go for a wide range cassette. I find the jumps noticable on an 11-46.

decide whether your low or high range is most important, and go from there. Tune the gearing you have with the chainring size, range is dicatated by the cassette.

FWIW, on 26" wheels, I run a 36 tooth chainring with an 11-46 cassette, and round here (new forest) could easily go up to a 38, although it's mainly irrelevant, as I almost never use either extreme of the cassette.

Re:

Good advice from MTS..It's all about where and what you ride and a little bit of experimentation may be called for

ride very much x country. Mainly in the South/ South East. 28 x 32 get me up hills with no problem. It's on the flat i like the 42. Not having that and using a 11 x 32 sounds odd. Too much spinning?? I've always ridden 2 chainrings. So feels correct. 1 sounds odd. Will try and report back.

Re:

Fat old git here, 11 X 40 with a 32 at the front is fine on a 26er for the long steep climbs around here but it's too tall for a 29er I've found. The only real downside is that I spin out on road descents.

Edit I've converted a couple of 26ers with 46t rear cogs, with these I can ride up the side of a house until I run out of breath.

Back