M970 brifters vs separates

ishaw

Gold Trader
GT Fan
Feedback
View
Last stage of my dbr axis tt retromod build has me wondering if I should de-nos a set of m970 brake brifters, or stick with the separate brake levers and shifters.

The last time I used brifters of this style was m960 so have things improved since then? I like the idea of a tidy cockpit but I'm not running lockout or dropper controls.

Views?

The m970's are different to the m960's, they have the thumb lever added.

Personally i like the shifting of the m960's, super smooth and i should imagine the thumb shift is to aid downshifts while braking, though i dont really find it a problem, i would still like to try a set.

I guess the choice is down to which shifting style 'you' prefer really.

Re:

Im a fan of brifters and currently run M965 and have used M970 brifters in the past.However,I`d still go with separate levers and shifters as I dont think Shimano have made a better shifter since the M970.I recently went back to trusty M970 shifters after my newer M980 wore out.

Re:

Not used the 970 dual controls (so not much help me replying) but changing the gear cables on the 960 dual control STIs was a total nightmare by comparison to the rapidfire shifters, not sure if the 970 was the same. I was quite fond of the dual controls but I'd echo the view that the 970 rapidfire shifter was Shimano's very best.

Re:

Thanks. I'm with you on m970 shifters, they are as good as it got imho. Pretty much true for the m970 range.

Just contemplating my options as I want to finalise this build and move on to the next before selling off any surplus with no regrets.

Back