GT 1998 Frame swap

Chris_29

Retro Newbie
This is my first post on the site - I'm looking for a bit of advice regarding a frame swap from any GT experts out there.
One of my older bikes, a 1998 GT Timberline 18" with upgraded RST forks, is sadly showing signs of rust on the steel frame. I was thinking of getting a replacement frame of same dimensions to swap over all the components, which are still in reasonable condition.
I have reasonably good tools and bike knowledge.

The frame I've been looking at is this 1998 GT Avalanche 18" with 6160 tubing.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1998-GT-Aval ... 2165199853

Does anyone forsee any issues with that?

Help and advice welcomed. Cheers.

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Re:

It should be a fairly straightforward transplant. Main things to check would be seat post diameter, as steel frames are often skinnier tubes so your post and clamp may not fit. Same would be true of your front mech.

Bottom bracket might need changing if your current frame is 68mm or 73mm and your new frame is the opposite.

Another thing to check is the head tube length. If it's around the same you should be ok to swap over your headset, forks and stem.

Other than that, everything should swap straight over.

Thanks for the reply, it was very helpful.

Head tubes are about 10mm difference.
BB appears smaller on the steel frame so new one required.

As you also pointed out, the seatpost will need changing - I wanted a new one anyway :D

How bad is the rust? A bit of surface rust won’t do much harm, and the patina usually looks quite good. Be prepared for a stiffer/harsher ride on an alu frame.

Latest posts

Back