Dropper posts, why and should I?

ishaw

Gold Trader
GT Fan
Feedback
View
When it comes to modern bikes, I'd describe myself in the category "all the gear, no idea".

I am currently building up a ti 29er (on one), which has internal routing for a dropper post. I also have a reverb stealth which is as bew after a service, but I've never fitted it since having it done.

My dilemma is, having never used a dropper post in anger, should I fit it? It would fill the holes in the hose routing which is a bonus, but having never really had the need for a dropper in life so far, what would the benefits actually be, and would I really use it?

Keen to get on board with all the modern developments, looking for some advice on use, otherwise it's just extra weight and another moving part I need to maintain.

Depends on the terrain you ride. Have you ever had to hang off the back, stomach on your saddle while descending a very steep run to avoid going over the bars?
That sort of thing plus dropping saddle for fast technical runs.

If you’ve never ridden that, you might not need one.

Re:

Because you have it.
Yes.

You have to try these things.
It's preferable to having your gentleman vegetables mashed by the saddle as you negotiate a bumpy down hill section.

A dropper post is one of the great innovations of modern mountain biking. It is worth trying and you can always take it off if it does nothing for you.

Re:

If you don't ride anything steep or technical, or don't feel the need to be able to move the bike around beneath you without the saddle getting in the way, then you won't get the benefit.

If you appreciate being able to lower and shift your CoG whilst riding, then you will.

Even I have a dropper on one of my bikes. Feels much more stable on downhill steep twisty etc and allows you to shift around much more easily.

One of the greatest inventions, up there with SPDs and disc brakes.

Set the right height for climbing, drop an inch for flat and twisty trails gives you a lot more room to move, then on the downhills, drop the seat right down for a lot more room to really chuck the bike about.

I noticed someone selling a bulk load of mtb parts and they had two of those seatpost spring things in there. Did they ever work? You'd have to have a very greasy pole, so to speak, for it come back up again.

Latest posts

Back