Schwinn needing ICBM headset - shall I just forget it??!!

LikeClockwork

Gold Trader
Kona Fan
Feedback
View
Good eve, chaps. I have recently picked up what I believe to be a year 2000 Schwinn Rocket 88 Stage 4, and it looks like it needs some form of integrated headset.... but it doesn't have one.

Research suggests I may be doomed as it requires what is known as the ICBM headset, that was fairly unique to Schwinn, and is now practically unobtainium. Anyone know any different? Only the frame and shock is in good condition, but owes me very little. I don't want to start spending a lot on it, I would rather sell for the shock and linkages etc if a bog standard cheapy eBay headset won't work with it.

Thanks in advance for any advice!

LikeClockwork":3ioeu92m said:
Good eve, chaps. I have recently picked up what I believe to be a year 2000 Schwinn Rocket 88 Stage 4, and it looks like it needs some form of integrated headset.... but it doesn't have one.

Research suggests I may be doomed as it requires what is known as the ICBM headset, that was fairly unique to Schwinn, and is now practically unobtainium. Anyone know any different? Only the frame and shock is in good condition, but owes me very little. I don't want to start spending a lot on it, I would rather sell for the shock and linkages etc if a bog standard cheapy eBay headset won't work with it.

Thanks in advance for any advice!

Try contacting onza100 on here, he rally like his Schwinns. Not sure how often he uses the site now but could be worth a shout?

Re:

Thank you both! Appreciate the replies.

Syncrosfan, I'm in the UK? Not sure if that would make postage etc too much hassle/expense, but if you want to drop me a PM with what kind of cost you had in mind, that would be great. Otherwise I will perhaps try Onza100 as MCSA suggests....

I'll give it to you for free if you pay the postage. Let me dig out the parts and send you some pics.

Re:

Managed to find the headset. Attached are some pics. As you can see I modified the top-cap from its original state (machined off some material to fit in a custom modified Girvin fork upper). The bearings should still work though.

Attachments

• IMG_0986b.jpg
    IMG_0986b.jpg
    46.8 KB · Views: 1,174
  • IMG_0987b.jpg
    IMG_0987b.jpg
    45.7 KB · Views: 1,174
Back