replacement headset for Ridgeback Genesis 02

mikehughes

Retro Newbie
Apart from the obvious answer which is to go my local bike shop ... I'd like to do it myself and save some £££ but don't know what part to buy ...

I've got a Ridgeback Genesis Day 02 from 200? The headset bearings are mashed, rusty and missing balls! Crunchy. Anyone know what I should replace this with? What size it would be? I assume 1 1/8 inch. Could I fit an FSA or Pro cartridge type headset in the head tube?

Re:

Is it a standard headset I.e external cup, semi-integrated or integrated? Answer that along with the diameter of the steerer tube (likely to be straight 1 1/8 or it could be tapered), then you'll know what to buy. There will be a lot to choose from at various price points and quality.

To fit, you'll need to get the old cups out of your frame and press in the new ones. You'll also need to remove the crown race from your forks and replace with the new one that comes with your new headset.

You can do all this without specific tools, but it is better and safer to do with the right ones I.e a headset removal tool, headset press and a crown race removal and fitting tool.

Hi, great thanks. So it's a standard Aheadset, ball bearings are visible! I'll check dimensions.

Question ... can I replace with a newer integrated headset? Or would that require new forks? Sorry, newbie question I'm sure.

Re:

I don't think you'll get away with that. Your frame would need to be compatible with an integrated headset I.e. have a head tube with a place to slot in the integrated bearings. Not sure you'll be able to fit a semi integrated headset either, as your head tube would need to be wide enough to take the internal cups for the bearings. I think you need a standard external headset.

Re:

Pictures are always your friend when describing this sort of thing. As has been said, there won't be room in your head tube to fit an integrated or semi integrated headset. Also, there isn't really an advantage to them other than a 44mm head tube (semi-integrated) being able to accommodate a tapered or a straight fork depending on wihether you use a semi-integrated cup or an external bottom cup. The other advantage of 44mm head tubes is that they are beefier and stiffer, but both these advantages belong to the frame/fork combo, not the headset really.
You can get much better regular aheadset external headsets than the loose bearing or caged bearing one you've described. Headsets with sealed cartridge bearings are readily available and will be a great upgrade. Integrated/semi-integrated and external cups aren't clean cut 'upgrades' from each other, they just need to match the frame/fork that you have.

Back