Help with lever replacement

kalex

Retro Guru
My son's got a specialized hotrock 24 which he's had from new but just started to use it a lot

https://www.evanscycles.com/specialized ... e-EV244896

Which has grip shift, I'd like to change both gear levers to a trigger style which I think is a more positive gear change.

What are any good average price levers I can swap too ( I'd like it still to look factory fitted) . The brake and gear are separate jobbies also so only gear levers

Re:

Something like these would do perfectly well ( just for example, its not my ebay listing btw ! ) , kind of entry level 3 x 7 shifters , you cant go far wrong with shimano should be reliable and cheap to replace if they ever break ( you know how kids treat bikes ) .

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Shimano-Aliv ... SwyZZcq2~Q

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Re:

Thanks for the replies, I was unsure what levers to look for as on the gears it has the SIS system logo so thought I need specific levers.

I think both these look ideal and more precise than the grip shift as although it's been set up by the specialized shop it never engages gear correctly at the moment so my lad spend ages trying to change gear.

Thanks for the pointer about grips but already on to that

oaklec":1ugge458 said:
shimano grip shifts usually work ok, could it be the rear mech or cable is the problem rather than the shifters?

It could be but I doubt it.

We've had the bike from new and bought from the bike factory in Chester where it was set up.

It had a squeak on the front suspension and the gear selection was iffy then. The bike factory were very good and had it back to strip the forks and check the gears. The squeak was fixed but the gears were always a little vague. So I left it as he hardly used the bike.

He's just started using it alot so that's why I'm looking in to it now. The bike is still as new as it's always garaged and not seen anything other than tarmac or the village green. So nothing is rusty or dried up as it's been lubed.

I've never had grip shift so I've nothing to compare against but I do know trigger style shifters I've had are very precise so that's why I think they'd help him

Re:

Ive already ordered some of the 310's

I thought the grip shift would be easier for him as he was only 7 when he had it.

Re:

I'm going to hopefully swap these levers tomorrow.

Sorry if this sounds stupid but what's the correct gears the existing levers (front and rear )should be in before removal as to cause the least messing around when the new ones are refitted.

Re:

Once you remove the existing shifter levers, the lack of tension on the front and rear mech springs will automatically move them to the smallest cog position front and back.

Back