XTR M975 Lever Rattle

fotorat1

Retro Guru
Hi last year I got a dual control M975 lever and calliper set delivered to the UK from LA

They were from a very small bike so I had to fit new hoses eat

When I started to ride them I noticed a horrible rattle - not the XTR experience I am used to!

it seems to be from what I can the lever hinge it has a rounded black dome on the up side and what looks like a shiny threaded stud underneath.

is their a repair kit for this?

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xfymrpTL5rw&feature=youtu.be[/youtube]

Re:

That's poor. You could slip in some thin brass or nylon washers to take up the slack.

yes thats a good suggestion - I was rather hoping that was a lever replacement kit / guide as you would have to get this "hinge' out to replace the lever!

Well this has turned out to be a delight to work on - For future ref to remove the lever:

1. Slacken the tiny grub screw in the end of the lever- no need to fully remove it (good job as its black and so small it would get lost easily)
2 remove the hinge pin - it taps out with no resistance
3. spin the lever off the hydraulic plunger

lever is now free

there are also some collars in the housing which look like brass

all of my play is between the pin and brass collar, looking at the pin where it is contact with the collar - there is wear , and suspect the collars are worn also.

So all I need is a new pin and 2 new collars ( for each side)!

p4pb16959541.jpg

Re:

I have seen this once before with XTR levers, but concluded it wasn't the pin that was worn but the alloy brake housing itself.

I may have judged it wrong, but it seemed to me shimming the pivot bolt was the only solution.

Re: Re:

davidj":uesqbhgx said:
I have seen this once before with XTR levers, but concluded it wasn't the pin that was worn but the alloy brake housing itself.

I may have judged it wrong, but it seemed to me shimming the pivot bolt was the only solution.

Thats possible - luckily i have a few sets of these brakes and I swapped the pin out of a good one into the wobbly one and it improved it a bit - but not like new so the bushes must be worn also .

but now you have got me thinking so I might try a good lever in it also

SJS said that Shimano don't sell the bushes for this but I have seen bushes for the saint and XT!!!

Re: Re:

Moqi":3mvo9zw7 said:
http://www.si.shimano.com is what you need to consult. It will list the available parts numbers, which you can order from your lbs, saving you the cost of postage.

can you check that url please it won't open for me

Latest posts

Back