Boardman MHT8.9 / brand X dropper post

Madmax1993

Orange 🍊 Fan
Feedback
View
I've decided to add a 29er to my fleet of bikes for mountain biking trips where I need to cycle to and from the trails, and for xc days and winter fun.
My list of wants from a the new steed are:
12mm thru axle frame compatibility, ideally boost spacing
15mm thru axle front end, also boost ideally
Tapered head tube
Threaded BB type (I really hate press fit BBs, they're more trouble than they're worth)
Tubeless readiness
Dropper cable routing
Fairly slack, contemporary geo

These requirements should future proof the bike and deliver everything I could want from it, and I've decided to buy a Boardman MHT8.9 which has pretty much all of these attributes. It's not extremely long, slack and low like some other brands, but it's reasonably slack and meets all the other wants. It also has an SLX 1X11 drivetrain, and Shimano Deore anchors. I couldn't really ask for a better rounded spec at the price and for me, that's unusual as I'm always fettling and upgrading my bikes, but I reckon the only changes/additions I'll make is a charge spoon saddle, a dropper post and some better pedals.

Bike radar gave the bike an impressive 5 stars, and that seems well deserved, and I was just wondering if anyone had any 'real world' experience of this model that they'd like to share?
Also, I'm intending to run a dropper post, ideally as long as possible (150mm travel), but don't have a huge budget, so I'm looking at the Brand X Ascend 31.6mm stealth dropper, with a 1x under bar lever. Anyone tried one already?

Re: Boardman MHT8.9

No. But I've had a Boardman FS Pro for just over 2 years. I bought it in a "20% off any new bike" week reduced from £1500 to £1200! (Might be worth waiting for one coming up.) The components are, as you've pointed out above, tip top. The only cheap parts are the own brand stems and bars, but they do the job. The wheels seem quite heavy (Mavic rims, no name hubs). The rear wheel bearings, though sealed, had to be replaced recently.
I'd say don't be put off by "experts" who'll tell you they are actually a Carrera. They're not and I've never regretted my purchase.

Re:

I'll let you in on a secret ;)
I work for Halfords as a cycle technician. We're not all monkeys and the working conditions I have there are better than other shops I've worked in, including Evans.
Working for them also means I get discount and cycle2work so it's a cracking deal I'm getting.

Re:

I'll let you in on a secret ;)
I work for Halfords as a cycle technician. We're not all monkeys and the working conditions I have there are better than other shops I've worked in, including Evans.
Working for them also means I get discount and cycle2work so it's a cracking deal I'm getting.

Re:

As above, I had a Boardman FS for a while which I liked a lot, although the new bikes are a complete redesign so I guess any comparisons would be pretty pointless, but I really liked the FS, dunno why they don't spec a dropper post as standard though... I bought a used Reverb which did 3 years service without any issues.

As for the Brand-X dropper post, I've heard plenty of good reports, never had one myself. For the price though its got to be worth a look?

Re:

Hi, yeah, I’ve been running a brand x dropper for over a year. Works great though I’ve nipped up the lever bolt once or twice as it was rattling.

Just kept it clean and sprayed a bit of silicone on it every so often.

i have a brand x post, the ascent II, so it the external cable one.
Seems to work ok, there is a bit of slop/swivel at the top, but you don't notice it when riding. The remote was a bit of a trial to set up, not terrible, just minor pain, but works fine.
Not super light, but oh well.
Goes up and down as the box says, is cheap and has given no issues after a year or so of use. But then I don't use it very often, maybe once per ride if that.

Re:

As a cycle tech will you really be satisfied by this bike? Does it really push all the buttons?

I would advise you put some time into sourcing a used bike with a "more desirable" brand frame and upgrade components as you go along.

Re: Re:

davidj":11vhf84b said:
As a cycle tech will you really be satisfied by this bike? Does it really push all the buttons?

I would advise you put some time into sourcing a used bike with a "more desirable" brand frame and upgrade components as you go along.
I have an 09 orange five for burly trail stuff, built from the frame up, an 86 Carlton Reynolds 501 road bike built with modern 2x10 105 kit, a voodoo Wanga 26" wheel hardtail and an orange hitman jump bike. I have well and truly scratched the itch of custom building. The Boardman is my first ever new bike, bought as a whole bike, and it hasn't disappointed in the slightest. I wanted a 29er quickly and my budget was limited (bike mechanics don't get paid all that much). Cycle2work allows me to spread the cost, and pay less tax over the year, in addition to making trade savings. This was the right option for me, and I regret nothing. The Boardman is a great spec, and I see no need to change any of the spec for the riding I do, and for a 'less desirable brand' the frame is well put together, and a pretty modern, versatile geometry. I did toy with the idea of a 29er Orange P7, and the reviews were less than flattering, whereas the Boardman got a glowing review in bikeradar.

Re:

I have no doubt the bike is good, but if my life was based around bikes (like it isn't! - but it's not my job) I would definitely be chasing "more desirable" (not necessarily better) brands.

If you plan to keep it long term then no matter. I seem to change my "keeping this forever" bikes pretty much every few months and desirability affects resale price, hard.

I have spent a lifetime in the IT industry, I have no more interest in upgrading computers, perhaps you are the same with bikes.

Back