Matching Forks to Frame (full sus travel)

drcarlos

Retrobike Rider
Gold Trader
Feedback
View
Just recently purchased a Voodoo Canzo 2010 frame from member madmax.

It's a nice 130mm travel frame.

I'm trying to match it with forks and having never built a full sus (I bought my Kona Dwag built) I want to make sure I match the forks to the frame correctly.

I have a nice set of Manitou Minute Ltd Forks (need a service) that are 100mm travel. Also just purchased a set of RockShox Psylo SL too which are up to 125mm travel.

The Manitous are newer (2012 vs 2004/5), have beefier Stanchions (32mm vs 30mm) and remote lockout, also the ABS+ damper which is great.

Could either be used or is the travel the mismatch too great and is it better to just use the Psylo?

I have a 2009 Kona Blast Deluxe frame I can use either fork on (just turn down the Psylo travel to 100mm).

Carl.

Check what geometry the frame was designed around, A to C, travel, Sagged travel etc.

Then compare the forks to those numbers, it *may* be that there is some overlap.

e.g. i have a HT frame designed around a longish A-C 80mm fork. The relatively short (A-C) and softly sprung 110mm travel fork i currently have on it works really well.

On the flip side, the 100mm fork i tried was actually longer when being ridden than the 110......

i did once try a too short fork on a full suss, it was horrible. But the other too short fork i tried was fine.

So, short answer, try it.

Looks like it was partnered with a 2010 Revalation 426, which would have an A-C of around 516mm (the 150mm travel is 526mm), the Minute is looking like a 475mm A-C, so it's quite a bit shorter than the Revalation. I think it will have to be used with the Psylo's, but I guess we can try with the Manitous out of curiosity.

Carl.

Re:

Some forks come internally spaced to reduce travel. Might be worth checking if your manitou are like this. Many rock shox come with a csu and damper that can take more travel, but are sold at lower travel.

Re: Re:

ishaw":1a4ua0u0 said:
Some forks come internally spaced to reduce travel. Might be worth checking if your manitou are like this. Many rock shox come with a csu and damper that can take more travel, but are sold at lower travel.

Not a bad shout that, the minutes do come in a 120mm flavour. I’ve got to pull them apart anyway so I’ll check.

Edit - checked, different crown/legs and spring kit to change the travel. Damn.

Carl

My first full sus. was a Marin Rift zone with 100mm at the rear but only a Manitou elastomer with 78mm at the front. It was amazing! I was the first in our circle to go full sus. It was mismatched to the Mazorcchi Bomber I replaced it with (140mm of a claimed 150!) but it rode much better, even if you sometimes felt like you could tip over the bars.
I think in your shoes I'd go for the longer travel.
I had a later type Canzo from 2011 with 140/140mm. The suspension was OK but the bike always felt sluggish. I was still disliking it last winter when it became not worth fixing up again so I gave it away to my son's mate for a trike project.

Duxuk":1j23uol8 said:
My first full sus. was a Marin Rift zone with 100mm at the rear but only a Manitou elastomer with 78mm at the front. It was amazing! I was the first in our circle to go full sus. It was mismatched to the Mazorcchi Bomber I replaced it with (140mm of a claimed 150!) but it rode much better, even if you sometimes felt like you could tip over the bars.
I think in your shoes I'd go for the longer travel.
I had a later type Canzo from 2011 with 140/140mm. The suspension was OK but the bike always felt sluggish. I was still disliking it last winter when it became not worth fixing up again so I gave it away to my son's mate for a trike project.

Well, I have the Psylo now and while not a great fork it's still better than some stuff around and being the SL at least it has the alloy steerer, rebound adjust and lockout too. Also the brucie bonus was it came with a rather nice GT branded 85mm Stem too, which is light and just right for the bike.

It look from the reviews that the Canzo 2010 was better than what came after by some margin as the bike gets a really good review when it was running a revelation fork and RS Monarch rear shock, if he wants he can upgrade these bits, but he'll likely have to do the wheels too as they are both QR and usually the better longer forks are 15mm through axle. There is a set of Marzocchi bombers on ebay that may suit but they will probably go beyond my budget. For now though the Pyslo is 125mm and the rear is 130mm with an A-C that is pretty near the Revelation, so not a bad match.

Carl.

Back