We've Designed the Mountain Bike of the Future

Interesting!

Linkage forks - 90s.
High Pivot - 90s
Idler - 90s (I'm thinking the cannondale DH bike)
Different size wheels - Yep, 90s... 80s?

First thought was how much it looks like a Whyte PRST1.

Re:

The Future.

Simplify it all, reduce weight, make it home repairable/bike shop friendly, give the bicycle back some soul,

oh wait........

Thats where we have come from....

he forgot the motor and battery.

Glad that forks are mentioned - I still use my jw2 (2x Fox rp23) daily and the front sus is amazing even compared to my new fox factory 36's

p4pb16461973.jpg

Re:

I rode my Whyte PRST4 on Thursday. Linkage front fork and virtual pivot point rear. It was the future but must not have sold well enough. I chose to ride it because I wanted to get a Strava KOM title on a climb. I got it! but lost contact with the satellite for a big chunk of the ride so it didn't register :( . It doesn't bob if you have the correct pressure in the shocks but does dive under braking. The small bump sensitivity is amazing. I lapped a local red route in the summer in 11min 12 on the PRST4 compared to 11min 31 on my modern bike. Some of that is probably down to the 26"x2.1" tyres with their lower drag.
So my bike of the future might already exist and I have 2 of them (a JW4, as well). I would like a 150mm travel front and rear version and may be ready to accept a carbon fibre frame, wheels etc.
CVT is a good idea but tends to absorb 25% of the power on a scooter/moped so it might not work. Putting the transmission at the bottom bracket is the way to go. An epicyclic bottom bracket?
I think I'd go for a 29" wheelset, but keep the width down.

Re: Re:

Duxuk":1eklobs6 said:
I rode my Whyte PRST4 on Thursday. Linkage front fork and virtual pivot point rear. It was the future but must not have sold well enough. I chose to ride it because I wanted to get a Strava KOM title on a climb. I got it! but lost contact with the satellite for a big chunk of the ride so it didn't register :( . It doesn't bob if you have the correct pressure in the shocks but does dive under braking. The small bump sensitivity is amazing. I lapped a local red route in the summer in 11min 12 on the PRST4 compared to 11min 31 on my modern bike. Some of that is probably down to the 26"x2.1" tyres with their lower drag.
So my bike of the future might already exist and I have 2 of them (a JW4, as well). I would like a 150mm travel front and rear version and may be ready to accept a carbon fibre frame, wheels etc.
CVT is a good idea but tends to absorb 25% of the power on a scooter/moped so it might not work. Putting the transmission at the bottom bracket is the way to go. An epicyclic bottom bracket?
I think I'd go for a 29" wheelset, but keep the width down.

Nice update - I am using mine twice a day as my "saddle test bike" and you are correct the small bump sensitivity is amazing and only the cdale lefty comes close.

Mine dives under braking - but with the RP23 up front - it has a bottom less feeling so it never feels like it has nothing left.

I too hanker for a longer travel "all mountain" version in 29"

Latest posts

Back