Newbie question...

BoyBurning

Karma King
Bontrager Fan
Hi guys:

Can I convert a front hub, currently running what I believe to be a 20mm thru axle, to a regular axle for old regular QRs and regular old fork dropouts?

Front hub only, rear is already QR.

Re:

All depends on the type of hub really and how it’s built. If it has simple caps that cover the bearings like the Hope Pro2 and Pro4 then you should be able to bodge a solution even if you can’t buy a specific kit.

If I were you I would have a look at a Hope Pro diagram and see if what you have is similar.

Re:

Thanks guys.

I've had a look through the Hope site as suggested, but I must confess that the various standards etc are entirely new on me so I'd appreciate a little clarification if you don't mind.

This:
https://www.hopetech.com/wp-content/upl ... sembly.pdf

would seem to suggest that number '5' [QR Pro 4/EVO Front Conversion] [HUB419] would work.

The hub I have, in simple non-technical parlay, has a hole through it which a 20mm external diameter tube that passes through, with caps that screw into the tube at each end.

The fork ends are circular and the tube goes through these too, before the screw on end caps are fixed in place.

The kit above would seem to suggest that rather than the hub being supported along its full width [as the current tube does] it would only be held at each end, with the new caps which [presumably] have a 20mm external diameter and slide in in place of the tube.

Would that be correct?

And would the hole for the QR axle be the same as what I'm used to in terms of internal diameter, so I can use Ringlé TiStix, or have the QR standards also moved on and those QRs wouldn't be thick enough along the skewer to sit in the holes correctly?

And, and, and... would the support ends of the caps which sit in the fork dropouts be the correct size for old forks - i.e. 9/10mm?

Cheers - every day's a school day!

Re:

I can only speak of what I know but yes, with the Hope ones the 20mm or 15mm maxel style will have a tube where as the QR doesn't. I guess this is because the QR stays fitted to the hub where as the 20/15mm axel is removed every time. The QR should fit in any fork and with any standard size QR's you have as Hope have been using it since QR was normal.

I'll have a look in the garage as I might have a spare set of QR ends you can have.

Re:

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but it won't be as simple as popping the hope qr plugs into the 20mm thru axle tube. This would add to the overall width (OLD) of the hub, so it wouldn't then fit in your fork. The hope system works by removing the 20mm 'top hat' looking bit which is held in by a circlip. Once that is removed, and you can see the sealed bearing in the hub shell, then you just push the qr cap/plug into each side, and they're just held in place by a rubber o-ring. In all likelihood, your hub probably won't be compatible with the hope parts.

Re:

Sadly, I think you're right.

I took the 'tube' out leaving just the cups in place over the bearings, and the hub was too wide for the forks.

Bit of a bummer as otherwise they'd have been perfect.

I think the only solution will be to make something up, but I'm not sure the end result will justify the means.

I've had a look around the sun-ringle website, but it appears they themselves were acquired by Hayes at some point, and the support pages seem sadly lacking - certainly in comparison with the Hope website which has everything readily accessible. I suspect an email or phonemail to them will fall on deaf ears sadly.

I'm slightly surprised they didn't make a kit themselves like Hope does. A quick look around the net shows lots of other hub manufacturers offer just what I'm after for their own hubs, but they won't work on third party hubs.

Bugger!

Back