Pedal rebuild gone wrong?

chriswoodiow

Dirt Disciple
I recently stripped my shimano spd pedals.
I used a Teflon grease for the bearings.
Now the pedals seem to jam now and then when spinning.

What have I fucked up?

Re:

At a guess you’ve got a rouge bearing. I’d strip it back down ASAP otherwise it will wreck the pedal.

I've not ride it yet, but on spinning I wasn't happy.

I saw that I need to get special tool to do the locknut up while holding the bearing cover now

Did you strip the axel down then? I normally just reomve it clean it and the inside of the pedals and refil 1/3 with grease and when I refit the axel the new grease pushes the old grease out the top?

Dodgy bearing (wrong place, cracked, flat spot?), locknuts not tightened properly.

That'd be what i would look for.

Do you have the special interlocking cone socket set (googling tells me its TL-PD33) makes adjusting them a doddle.

Id have said its tightening as you do it up.

If it help you can fit a small thin bladed screwdriver down to the inner nut to hold it against the flats, while you tighten the top nut.

Alternatively you could try tightening the inner nut a little and using the outer lock nut to screw it down, then back off slightly.
The float is the same as wheel bearings but the large and small nuts make holding one and tightening the other damn near impossible.

Or it would be a wayward bearing popped out on going in but that usually prevents it from seating at all. So i would think its over tightening.

Back