Paint your own frames ?

enc

Kona Fan
How do you jig your bike for painting ? Last one I did was a combination of bike stand and hung from the washing line ... less than ideal.
Looking for a better solution this time !

A sort of home made seat post and a hanger for it to hang from. I also stuck a bit of plastic
pipe in the bottom bracket so I had a handle to turn the frame if I needed to and to carry it by.
I probably have a pic. I also found a pic of the drip stand, old hospital cast iron drip stand with
a bit of scrap steel in it, I primed all the frames on the drip stand but it wasn't as good as having
them the right way up. I put forks on the drip stand to paint them.

Attachments

• stand-lightning2.jpg
    stand-lightning2.jpg
    67.2 KB · Views: 490
  • stand-lightning1.jpg
    stand-lightning1.jpg
    59.5 KB · Views: 490
Re:

Good stuff ! All angles covered there.
How do you fix the support inside the seat tube ?

The support is basically an old head bolt[car engine], tapered nut and a bit of coolant hose. The tapered nut expands the hose which grips the seat post. Of course a seat post could be used. I had more frames to paint than I had spare seat posts.

I also have a stand cobbled together from the steel work out of the draw in a suspension type filing cabinet. It holds the frame by the plastic tube in the bottom bracket and is good for sanding down and anytime the frame needs to be held firmly. i don't think I have a picture of that.

Back