Chain device help needed

fotofro

Dirt Disciple
So, im trying to convert my 2014 saracen mantra to 1x and not wanting to spend much money (another bike build underway) im staying 8 speed at the back and running a shimano chain device via a BB mounted iscg adapter.
When i removed the bb (a CH-52 square taper not removed since new) there wasnt a spacer between the driveside "collar" of the bb and the frame. So fitting the iscg adapter has spaced the bb about 3mm off centre towards the driveside, some thing i hadnt considered before i came to refit my cranks.
When i refit the crank (some RPM El Torros i had spare) the chain ring sits too far away from the chain device. I have the chain ring fitted behind the tabs on the cranks and i have spaced the CD  about 3 mm out from the adapter but its still quite a way off. I guess this this down to the bb now being off centre.

Does anyone have any idea on how to sort this? Would going external bb and hollowtech cranks be a quick and easy fix?

Re:

A wide narrow ring from eBay with bolts is less than £20, must be worth a go rather than faffing around with chain devices?
It’s the way I’m going.

Carl

You could space the ring, but i would go with a narrow wide ring, you dont need a chain guide then.

I have been running one over alsorts of terrain on a hardtail, never dropped the chain once, very good peice of kit.

mark

Re:

I am running a narrow/wide chain ring but still went with a chain device as the rear mech isnt a clutched one so i thought a cd would be necessary.

Re: Re:

fotofro":2tkxuijo said:
I am running a narrow/wide chain ring but still went with a chain device as the rear mech isnt a clutched one so i thought a cd would be necessary.

Some people say you need a clutch rear but plenty of people run one without, including myself, and have never had a problem at all.

Just google Narrow Wide and clutch rear and you will see loads run it without, even on full suss frames :)

mark

Back