Dyna sys cassette compatibility

MarinMartin

Marin Fan
Hi everyone.

So I finally got myself a nice-ish 29er as a project and well lets just say its been a bit of a nightmare.

Anyway the last bits I need to do are replace the chain and cassette. This is where I struggle. It has a 2x10 dyna sys setup with clutch rear mech. The cassette on there is a dyna sys branded 11-36t.

When replacing the cassette does it have to be a dyna sys version or can it be replaced with any 11-36t cassette? Same with the chain will a non syna sys chain (if that exists) be compatible. Wasn't sure if they had something different about them. Probably a stupid question but this bike is like a new car to me with all its techy stuff as never thought Id be able to afford anything like this.

Re:

I'm sure for marketing purposes the answer would be don't mix dynasis with anything else, but in the real world, it doesn't matter. I've used sram cassettes and chains with dynasis and not had a problem. Other non dynasis brands are available too of course.

10 speed chains and cassettes are pretty much interchangeable. Any SRAM or Shimano (or sunrace) will fit, same for chains.

Don't think you can get xd cassettes in 10 speed.

Re:

Cheers guys. Thats what I was hoping to hear. Im not a purist just get what I can afford so thats a big relief.

Back