Fox fork service info needed ! ** updated **

shinobi

Senior Retro Guru
Hi guys
Finally got around to buying seals for my 2005 Fox float r forks , im trying to find out the correct way of re filling with oil after i have fitted the seals etc .

Some say 20 or 30 ml in the lower left leg put in from the bottom and 155 ml in the right leg ( damper side ) again from the bottom with the 5ml float fluid in the top of each .

Others seem to show the left leg filled from the bottom and the right filled from the top :facepalm:
Anyone know which is correct ?
Cheers Paul

Re:

Fitted new seals for my 2010 float rl a few weeks ago, filled the air side with 30ml from the bottom and the damping side with 160ml from the top. It can be filled from the bottom as well it’s just easier from the top.

Re: Re:

Stump28":1mtscp8y said:
Fitted new seals for my 2010 float rl a few weeks ago, filled the air side with 30ml from the bottom and the damping side with 160ml from the top. It can be filled from the bottom as well it’s just easier from the top.
Thanks for the reply , that’s what I did in the end but they still seem to blow through half there travel just sitting on the bike so there under the bench in disgrace until I pull them down again and see if I can see the problem :facepalm:
Paul.

Stump28":3n661sov said:
Is that after re setting psi on the air side?
Yes , seems to work ok but just really soft .
I did wonder if the o ring on the air piston is leaking by ?
The other strange thing is you can hear the oil running up and down if you invert them , I know this sounds obvious but I have never noticed before and when you adjust the rebound you can hear a slight rush of air sometimes, all a bit odd :roll:
Cheers Paul

Re:

Try ramping the pressure up on the air side to see if it firms up and keep an eye on your gauge reading over a few days that’ll give you an idea as to wether it’s an air issue. Otherwise try compressing the forks, might sound obvious but it can take 50 or so compressions on some fox forks before they settle in right

fotorat1":14spbrkq said:
Stump28":14spbrkq said:
Is that after re setting psi on the air side?

That made me smile - thanks

Might sound like an obvious question but seeing as a dust seal change doesn’t involve any kind of strip to the air side you’d be unlucky if it wasn’t just a re air error

Re:

Thanks again for all the input , thinking back there could have been a slight issue with it feeling a bit soft before the seal decided to self destruct in the garage .

It just feels like it needs a lot more air pressure even when it’s pumped up to max recommend pressure .

The noise etc in the damper side could just be that it needs to bleed through or whatever .

It has crossed my mind to try adding a bit more float fluid to change the air volume ?

Cheers Paul

Re:

Ok , update ! I found the source of the noise on the rebound side ,
There is oil seeping up through the adjuster shaft under the control knob so I have stripped the forks down and removed the air piston and damper cartridge .
Removed the top of the cartridge to reveal the offending tiny o ring so looks like a full seal kit is needed :facepalm:
Paul

Back