26" Tyre recommendations?

Joe_Rides

Senior Retro Guru
Went to a trail centre over the weekend and sustained MANY punctures, which was very frustrating. OK I am riding an old hardtail, and I do ride hard. But it shouldn't be this bad!

Running XC mavic 317's (which didn't help) with schwalbe smart sams (folding). This was a bad choice. Far too flexible, so it was snake-bite's all day, even with mega high pressure in them.

So. A mate is selling me some DH orientated wheels (halo's), which should help. But I need to find some tyres.

Width - 2.25 ideally (I can't fit a 2.3 between the 'stays, which seems to dramatically reduce my options).

Ideally full fat wire beaded tyres.

Not fussed about weight.

Any recommendations?

I like Continental Trail Kings in 26x2.2. Got them on my GR STS-1 so it does have the benefit of suspension but I thrash it around trail centres with no issue.

Re:

Minifreak":2d1ty33a said:
I like Continental Trail Kings in 26x2.2. Got them on my GR STS-1 so it does have the benefit of suspension but I thrash it around trail centres with no issue.

Cheers Minifreak, i'll have a look into them. Usually steer clear from conti's, as I had some "mountain kings" a few years back and suffered the same issues. Are yours a wire bead type, or folding?

I'm going to pick the new wheels up this week then try a mates 2.3 maxxis high roller on it. The deeper rim profile may help me "get away" with running a 2.3, which opens up the options greatly.

If not, I'm thinking Maxxis Ardent in a 2.25.

Re: Re:

Joe_Rides":1sc97txi said:
Minifreak":1sc97txi said:

Cheers Minifreak, i'll have a look into them. Usually steer clear from conti's, as I had some "mountain kings" a few years back and suffered the same issues. Are yours a wire bead type, or folding?

I'm going to pick the new wheels up this week then try a mates 2.3 maxxis high roller on it. The deeper rim profile may help me "get away" with running a 2.3, which opens up the options greatly.

If not, I'm thinking Maxxis Ardent in a 2.25.

I went with wire bead.

Let us know how you get on and what ends up working well for you :)

Maxxis are a safe bet, and they come in all widths down to 1.9 so should find some that fit, and there are plenty about. Just find some with decent sidewall protection, thats the main snakebite protection, doesnt matter about the bead so much. There are plenty of other manufacturers also, i used to shop by sidewalls first then tread pattern.

Re:

mkone":174kuw84 said:
Maxxis are a safe bet, and they come in all widths down to 1.9 so should find some that fit, and there are plenty about. Just find some with decent sidewall protection, thats the main snakebite protection, doesnt matter about the bead so much. There are plenty of other manufacturers also, i used to shop by sidewalls first then tread pattern.

I agree re: the sidewalls. It's just difficult because most local shops will only have a few different types of tyre in stock, and probably not the ones I want. Realistically I may end up ordering online, but that's not great because you end up ordering based on reviews & technical specifications rather than something tangible.

Re:

I always liked my Nobby Nick EVO snakeskins in 2.25"
Gripped well and took a hammering, I think they all incorporate the SnakeSkin in the TLR (though I've lost touch with acronyms and what is what).
That Nobby Nick tread is now the Tough Tom (they completely changed the Nobby nic pattern but kept the name, why, who only knows).
I have some tough tom as well now have, been ok so far.
The few contis I've had have always been fragile, but this was 8years ago, stuff changes.

Not sure why the bead should matter for snakebites, look for the structure and casing quality.

any Conti black Chilli compound. Made in Germany and top quality build.

I run Conti's too... on one HT raceking racesport 2.2F/2.0R, love them, but the racesprt sidewalls are made from tissue paper. on my FS bike (650B) I ran Xking racesports 2.4 F/R but with the sidwall tears I switched to the protection version (Xking 2.4F raceking 2.2R) and has been great. But Iv;ve only had 2 flats in 4 years running them even through all the rocs that munch the sidwalls.

On another bike have Hutchison python (tubless but with tubes) they seem pretty bombproof.

I've had really variable experiences with Schwalbes. In general I love them, but I've had some that were very fragile - 4 punctures in a single ride, in a location without hawthorn.

Back