Pace RC200 and Pace RC39 steerer tube issues

TheBear1978

Retro Guru
Feedback
View
So the guy building my bike has just informed me that my RC39 forks do not fit my Pace RC200 as apparently the steerer tube is 40-50mm too short. The external headset cups take up 1.5" and with the frame being a 19" it is apparently too short.

He also tells me he thinks the steerer tube is not replaceable ? Is this correct and is it the crown/steerer tube that is all one piece? Can you get replaceable combo crown/steerer's for these forks ? My bike builder seems to think that it will need a 240-250mm steerer !

Bit of an emergency this really as the build is dead until this gets sorted out,

Any advice much appreciated, thanks

Re:

You’ll need to track down forks with a longer steerer I’m afraid.

I did get a guy called Richi Foss in Inverness to weld a longer steerer on a pair of Salsa Cromoto forks for exactly the same reason and they worked perfectly, so that’s also an option.

Re: Re:

velofrog":2lotyrtj said:
You’ll need to track down forks with a longer steerer I’m afraid.

I did get a guy called Richi Foss in Inverness to weld a longer steerer on a pair of Salsa Cromoto forks for exactly the same reason and they worked perfectly, so that’s also an option.

Have you had a set of RC39 forks and know this to be the case that steerer is not replaceable on its own ?

Re: Pace RC200 and Pace steerer tube issues

It's a pressed-in steerer. You may be able to get a longer one pressed-in; try justbackdated on this forum (Fork English is his company).

Alternatively a quill/ahead converter could give you the extra length you need.

Re: Pace RC200 and Pace steerer tube issues

hamster":v8sgw1ot said:
It's a pressed-in steerer. You may be able to get a longer one pressed-in; try justbackdated on this forum (Fork English is his company).

Alternatively a quill/ahead converter could give you the extra length you need.

You mean a headset to quill ? Don't want to go down that route. It's weird, guy selling a set of RC39 forks on eBay says steerer is replaceable but others say no :?

Re:

Just off the phone to Adrian at Pace. The RC39 steerer is not replaceable on it's own but is if you replace the steerer/crown/stanchions together as one unit. Which will be expensive. And that's f you can find stock. With an full length uncut (245mm from factory)steerer :facepalm:

Or they can sell me a set of NOS RC39 forks for upwards of £500 :shock: :facepalm:

So I really need to consider my options; ideally I want the newest Pace forks possible that have the longest travel, replaceable (on their own, not integrated into the crown and/or stanchions) steerers with disk brake mounts.

What are my options folks regarding other Pace forks ? RC36 Evo II or III, RC36 Pro Class II, RC38 Airforce RLO ??

Or dare I see it....what are my other options for period-correct-ish other makes and models of forks ?

Cheers

Re:

May or may not be a long term option, but there are a couple of things you could do:

1. Low stack headset. Crank bros do one, there are others. You won't save the 40mm you need, but you will end up with more steerer to play with, and depending on your choice of stem, it could be enough.

2. Steerer extenders. There are quill and ahead types. May not be long term, but would at least allow you to build the bike whilst you weigh up your longer term options.

3. Replace steerer. You can have this done. You need someone with a hydraulic press and of course a replacement steerer to press back in.

4. Alternative forks. DT Swiss if trying to keep it a bit pace, anything else if you aren't fussed.

5. Fork swap. Maybe someone out there has a long csu and didn't want to cut it down and would swap?

:shock: you have a bike builder!?

press a new steerer in or find a cheap non working pair and swap parts over, or DT Swiss like has been suggested :)

Re: Re:

ishaw":bjgxh8zs said:
May or may not be a long term option, but there are a couple of things you could do:

1. Low stack headset. Crank bros do one, there are others. You won't save the 40mm you need, but you will end up with more steerer to play with, and depending on your choice of stem, it could be enough.

2. Steerer extenders. There are quill and ahead types. May not be long term, but would at least allow you to build the bike whilst you weigh up your longer term options.

3. Replace steerer. You can have this done. You need someone with a hydraulic press and of course a replacement steerer to press back in.

4. Alternative forks. DT Swiss if trying to keep it a bit pace, anything else if you aren't fussed.

5. Fork swap. Maybe someone out there has a long csu and didn't want to cut it down and would swap?

Not keen on the extended steerer and already have stem
Defo not enough apparently to run a low-stack and RC45 stem, Adrian @ Pace said that pressing out existing steerer and pressing in new one wasn't an option? Long steerer's are still available from Pace but are not suitable for the RC39 again according to Pace....

mkone":39p96zbc said:
:shock: you have a bike builder!?

press a new steerer in or find a cheap non working pair and swap parts over, or DT Swiss like has been suggested :)

Yes I have someone building the bike for me as I don't have workshop facilities or the required tools.

Back