1998 GT Xizang - what suspension fork?

tonybrown5

Retro Guru
Hi all - just after some advice as to what fork you all feel would be best for the above frame I have coming to me soon? I want to keep the bike period so a 98, V-brake fork is what I'm after. Frame is going to be highly polished and has yellow decals with red outlining, so ideally a fork that will 'fit' in with those.
I have a set of yellow Judy SLs at home though they're 96 and have canti bridge so I'd like something a little more modern.
What would you recommend from around that year that would fit in colour wise and is reasonable decent for the period?

Re: Re:

kermitgreenkona88":3hmjzw5d said:
A bit left field......

RST XMO

They made them in Red, Yellow, and Blue ;)

Thanks - theres a blue pair on E-bay but they are new with the price label still on, are these still in production? I'd rather keep the bike reasonably period if possible. I thought also about a pair of SIDs?

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Re:

Fox forks are heavy, you dont want to make such a light weight frame front heavy. I did breifly use a set of 80s on my zaskar a while back and they were nice and plush

I reckon judy SL or a mk1 sid. I had judy’s on my 97 xizang to begin with and they were great, but then i changed to rigids

Sean

Re:

If you are after something around the frame era, a set of Judy fsx would look good. I had a set modded with air internals, carbon brace and they looked awesome and worked well. Rst xmo are actually a great fork, air internals and stiffer than a period sid.

If it were me, I'd get a set of sids from around 08_
-10. 32mm, air, fully adjustable and with brake bosses. Modern (ISH) so way better than anything of the frames time, and light too.

How much travel are you looking for?

Looking to not upset any geo so guess 80mm, poss 100.
Think I want red :) I'm a colour tart and the bike needs to be coordinated.

Back