Fox fork oil

shinobi

Senior Retro Guru
Hi all
Went into the garage the other day to discover a patch of oil under my newly
build On One Scandal :evil: turns out one of the fork seals has decided to start leaking for no apparent reason :roll:

The fork is a 2005 Fox float 100r and looking at replacing the seal i am shocked at the cost of the parts and especially the oil , has anyone found a good equivalent at all ?
Cheers Paul

Re:

Is yours leaking from the wiper seal or elsewhere? I've a leaking fox fork I want to fix, and haven't played with a fox fork for a while so looking for advice on what a fix is for weeping oil at the wiper seal.

Fork oil wise, I tend to use non-fox as you are paying for the name. I think I've used various, including stendec, rock oil and others in the correct weight. Planet X had some on the cheap recently, may still have?

Re:

Thanks for the replies chaps , kind of what i was thinking really but without going into the specific oil specs its hard to know but it just hurts to pay £18 or £20 for a small bottle of oil :LOL:

Ishaw
Yes it seems to be coming through the wiper seal ( the bike is hung veritcally)
a quick google seems to show pretty average strip down info much like any Manitou or Rockshox fork tbh so nothing too scary :LOL:

Cheers Paul

Re:

I thought as much, just from recent experience with rock shox and previous fox rebuilds, I can't think why oil would leak via the wiper seal when it's all inside the stanchion, other than the fluid inside the legs for splash lubrication.

Re: Re:

ishaw":nriybm37 said:
I thought as much, just from recent experience with rock shox and previous fox rebuilds, I can't think why oil would leak via the wiper seal when it's all inside the stanchion, other than the fluid inside the legs for splash lubrication.
Well I pulled the lowers off today to see what’s in there lol !
If I’m honest I’m not sure how they work , there is a damper cartridge in one side which seems to empty with the oil but I’m not sure if it should do or not ? Or if the cartridge has blown like old Judys used to ?
More research needed I think :LOL:
Paul

shinobi":35wqyi7g said:
Thanks for the replies chaps , kind of what i was thinking really but without going into the specific oil specs its hard to know but it just hurts to pay £18 or £20 for a small bottle of oil :LOL:

Ishaw
Yes it seems to be coming through the wiper seal ( the bike is hung veritcally)
a quick google seems to show pretty average strip down info much like any Manitou or Rockshox fork tbh so nothing too scary :LOL:

Cheers Paul

Fork oil is about £10-£12 per litre.

Grab the manual and also given the age (relatively new for this site) there are probably plenty of YouTube videos as well.

And if you are lucky enduro have a pictorial diy help that is close enough
http://www.enduroforkseals.com/id10.html

Re:

Motorbike fork oil in the damper , usually 5 or 7.5W, synthetic motor oil in the leg bottoms (it's for splash lubricating so doesn't foam and works way better than fork oil ) 5/30 is fine , also put a tiny bit (1 or 2CC) in the top of the air chamber as this will keep the seal lubricated , don't forget to lift your wiper seals every month or so and put a smidge of something gloopy on the foam rings (synth gear oil id good) but not too much.

Matthews":2ealbw2d said:
Motorbike fork oil in the damper , usually 5 or 7.5W, synthetic motor oil in the leg bottoms (it's for splash lubricating so doesn't foam and works way better than fork oil ) 5/30 is fine , also put a tiny bit (1 or 2CC) in the top of the air chamber as this will keep the seal lubricated , don't forget to lift your wiper seals every month or so and put a smidge of something gloopy on the foam rings (synth gear oil id good) but not too much.
That’s great info cheers :D the damper seems to have drained out so it knackered ?
There are so many videos about on it but some seem to put oil in from the bottom while others put it in the top so it’s all a bit confusing !
Last forks I worked on were mag 21s or Judys :LOL:
Paul

Lower leg oil (splash lube ) tends to go in the bottom , damper oil usually goes in the top of the damper and tiddy bit in the air chamber from the top .

Back