Servicing hope callipers

ishaw

Gold Trader
GT Fan
Feedback
View
I've got some brakes that need some TLC. I've done levers before but never had to touch the callipers.

I've bought some seal kits and am after guidance on servicing.

Re:

I've watched a few, just wondering if anyone has any tips/tricks or things to watch out for.

Slather everything in brake fluid or dot compatible grease when you put it back together, nicking the seals is a right royal pain.

It's easier to do a thorough clean and strip down with them removed, then refit with new O ring. The silcone fluid that Hope sell can be had for a lot less from a plumbers merchant and it's great for lubing the pistons and seals.

mdvineng":1ql609a9 said:
It's easier to do a thorough clean and strip down with them removed, then refit with new O ring. The silcone fluid that Hope sell can be had for a lot less from a plumbers merchant and it's great for lubing the pistons and seals.

I got the lube from eBay and it’s pretty simple like others have said, just be gentle with the pistons as they anrt the
Hardest material but they do need a bit of pressure. To be honest the fiddelyest thing was getting the new seals in.

Re:

What's this lube of which you speak?

How would I decide if the pistons need replacing?

Re:

It’s called hunters silicone lube, I couldn’t be bothered to try a plumbing merchant so I actually got it from amazon.

Hope Silicon Grease 30ml https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0062N50S6/ ... 0AbR11XQ5P

It’s not cheap but will last ages.

As for the pistons once you have them out of the caliper just look closely at them and look for scratches or marks on the outside diameter.

The videos on the hope website are quite useful aswell as YouTube.

If you have to force the pistons back into the bore when you re-assemble, something is wrong. they shoudl slide in very easily.

You will need the bore cap tools.

Back