Fat Bikes

Ramona

Devout Dirtbag
I've somehow stumbled into owning a fat bike frame despite the fact I've never ridden one or wanted one. Safely hidden in the boot for now.

N+1 yet again.

Anyone here own one? Have a few questions around a potential build.

No mine is a 2010 snowblind, or was as it has had a respray a couple of years back.
It is in fatbike sense 'old school' :)
It is still running Large Marge rims with tubes, has always been singlespeed, currently 36x18 and I run BB7 cable brakes. Has worked this way for a lot of years and has done the Strathpuffer 24h a few times as well along with loads of other rides/races etc. Mainly just use it for riding up in the hills and mountains up here in the highlands but also for a bit of coastal exploring. It's the perfect bike to get places the others can't reach :)

Jamie
** Just reread this and it maybe gives the wrong impression, it's no race bike in the proper sense, which suites as I am no racer. I just like riding with others ;)

AP5Y1414 by Jamie Dyer, on Flickr

Mine isn't normal, in that the seat tube forks in two before it goes into the bottom bracket shell. The purpose of this is to allow a front mech to be fitted. Mine came with 3x8 gearing, which I upgraded to 3x9 to be able to use an 11-36 cassette. Otherwise it's pretty normal, hydraulic brakes, etc.

14114528_10210137349371195_550271715_o-672x372.jpg

Re:

Thanks both, helps me a lot.

Have a spare 1x10 mini group set from an old build so was hoping to use that.

Zenith - any particular reason for the 3x9? Did you want the range?

Jamie - great pics!

Re: Re:

Ramona":j1io5t7z said:
Thanks both, helps me a lot.

Have a spare 1x10 mini group set from an old build so was hoping to use that.

Zenith - any particular reason for the 3x9? Did you want the range?

Jamie - great pics!

My Tank is an entry level fat bike, so the 3x8 was specced to keep the cost down. You'd think a 1x chainset would be cheaper than a 3x chainset, but for some reason it's the other way around. Because of the big wheels and drag on the road from the wide, low pressure tyres, I've never ever reached speeds high enough to need to use the big ring on the front. Yes, the 9 speed cassette, mech and shifter were added just to get a better range (11-36 instead of 11-30) with a lower granny gear for climbing steep hills. I found there was not much point having the amazing traction to climb any surface without the gearing to match.

Latest posts

Back