Wheel build advice

pingu_turbo

Dirt Disciple
Hi all,

I normally post in the older bike section, so please excuse the intrusion. :D

My wife has a ‘Halfords special’ (Apollo encounter) hybrid bike. The reason being is that it was given to me by a friend and she wants to come out riding with me on the trails. I am slowly going through it changing it how she wants and before things go wrong..

I want to change the hubs for quick release type as the originals are not sealed and I need to carry a 15mm spanner around with me for that just in case moment. I’d rather not do this so I wondered if anyone could offer some help/advice on what I’d need to get.

The current wheels are 700c, rim brakes, 6 speed rear cassette. Am I better off just changing the rims and hubs for better, changing just the hubs and rebuilding the wheels, (what type would I need?) possibly changing the rear mech for a 7/8 speed unit and matching twist shifts as 6 speed compatible hubs seem hard to come by (changing to twist shifts anyway, as preferred), not sure if the frame would accommodate?

In terms of budget, I don’t see any point in throwing hundreds at it, but something that is better quality that will last. I’m not getting my scales out to weigh everything, weight is not an issue.

Any thoughts?

Re:

If it just the quick release you want then the easiest thing to do would be just to replace the axles and get some skewers.

QR axles will need to be 10mm bigger than the space between the dropouts.

I think that is right, ready to be corrected :)

Dave.

Re:

I would give to someone else and treat the missus to a proper ladies MTB.

Also bear in mind she will need lighter wheels and tires until she gets fitter cycling so get some Cross max or Stans Alpine and go tubeless which will help her keepup with you and not put her off MTBing.

Agreed. I would not entertain upgrading. You will be surprised what £250 can get you nowadays. Old rockhopper, stumpjumper or one of the Kona range from the early 90's. Just keep your eyes open and that 15mm spanner in your pocket until then.

My Wife rides a late 90's v brake Zaskar it fits like a dream. I refuse to replace it :twisted:

Good luck

:) That’s fair advice guys, I had seen that Rockhopper and thought about it. It also justifies getting a nice vintage commuter mtb for me. (Keep looking for an old Cinder Kone in orange)

Maybe I’ll just keep the spanner and strip, clean and rebuild these hubs for now.

I recently sold QR halfraud specials 26" rims, 3 lots at £10 a pair.

It's very possible to find cheap 26" rim brake rims on ebay, £20/£30 max.
In reality your wives bike is probably worth between 20-40 depending on condition and the time and money spent switching hubs would out weigh that.

I feel sorry for her with a 6 speed as well.

Back