So is it 26 or 27.5"

dyna-ti

Gold Trader
MacRetro Rider
Feedback
View
So whats the final verdict after these some years :?

Is 27.5" the new standard, with eventually even the halfords specials becoming that size, or have the riders decided that theres to much truing to be done and the larger diameter does infact make for a weaker wheel, given the abuse it takes.
Or is that lessened by the easier rolling over obstacles, or hasnt it mattered ?

The larger heavier ? plain guage spokes instead of double or triple butted :? Or hasnt it mattered.

Have you found that the weight of your average mtb with the larger wheel makes them difficult to cycle, in that more energy is needed to force those bigger heavier wheels around :? Or isn't is noticeable.

Re:

I really like my 29er, it's not heavy and I haven't noticed it being any harder to get going, but when I do, it's a nice ride.

I don't personally notice that much difference between it and a 26er, though it is a little more cumbersome on tighter lines.

I'm building a 27.5 at the moment to see what difference that makes, but haven't got around to that yet so can't comment. It doesn't feel that much bigger so far, and the wheels aren't that different either so I don't expect a huge amount of difference to be honest.

Re:

There's no danger of that happening to me any time soon, or is that why I have so many bikes? I must be super capable ;)

Re:

Me too Ian,its bonkers,the power of marketing.My winter bike is a fully rigid Tomac 15 or so years old with a short stem,wide bars and elderly 3x9 xtr,some of my buddies were on the latest state of the art carbon 29er hardtails and the difference was negligible.

having compared 29 and 27.5 Then the 27.5 wins for me. Its the one i'd buy and ride if i couldn't buy 26. 29 are just to big for off road rides.

dyna-ti":1x6aqc90 said:
...eventually even the halfords specials becoming that size,

Have you been to Halfords recently?

dyna-ti":1x6aqc90 said:
The larger heavier ? plain guage spokes instead of double or triple butted :? Or hasnt it mattered.

There's nothing stopping you using butted spokes to build a 27.5 or 29 inch wheel.

Re:

Same rules apply for the bigger wheels, spend more to get lighter and stronger. I have not tango’d a 27.5 or 29 wheel but I never did a 26 either.

Noticeably more flexi? No, but every other part of my two modern bikes are far more rigid than my last modern 26” so if they are I can’t tell.

Is 27.5 the new norm? Yes.

I converted to 29ers first and my current ‘best’ bike is a 29” full suss with bang up to the minute geometry. Being tall I found 29ers fit me and every 26” bike I now ride seems tiny and weird. I got a modern 27.5 hard tail to compliment it and it does! To me 29 feels about right, 27.5 feels playful, 26 feels like a child’s bike. I notice the difference between all three and am a fan of current geometry trends so 26 has become restricted to retro japes for me.

Others will no doubt disagree. :|

Back