Crossmax Vs fulcrum red power?

ishaw

Gold Trader
GT Fan
Feedback
View
Circumstances have led me to two sets of wheels when I only need one. Both are new.

If you had to keep a set, which would it be?

If it helps, they are both 27.5 in size. Crossmax seem to be using more traditional straight pull spokes as opposed to the zicral bladed ones. The rims are also quite a deep profile. No model identifier.

Red power are I believe the 2017 version.

Re:

Did they fit ok. As for the question which do you prefer. I like the cross max but I've never ridden the newer ones.

Re:

I'd probably go with Fulcrum as I'm a Campagnolo fanboy.

However...

You won't be able to get spares for them, other than spokes & bearings.

I had a pair of their road wheels & taco'd a rim in an accident. You can't get rims separate (you can't even get single wheels!). If you damage a rim beyond repair, it's a new pair of wheels or hoping to find a single wheel on eBlag.

Re:

Not exactly a vote of confidence for fulcrum, but it's 1 all now.

So, is all the 2:1 spoke ratio a gimmick or a genuine benefit?

Mavics are made from parts you can get spares for, but I'm hoping not to destroy whichever wheels I decide on.

Re:

Don't get me wrong; they're great wheels, very well put together and top quality, but if you do have an issue and mash up a rim, you con't buy replacement rims to build on to an existing wheel. :cry:

I managed to find a single front on eBlag to replace the one I totalled and then stripped the original so I had a spare hub at least.

Re: Re:

ishaw":39kfk7dx said:
So, is all the 2:1 spoke ratio a gimmick or a genuine benefit?

I can't speak for the MTB wheels, but it makes for very good power transfer on their road wheels while keeping the spoke count down.

I should add, that it might be worth investigating it they do spare rims for the MTB wheels as they're more likely to be damaged.

Re:

I've got some road versions as well, managed to get a few spares should something happen, as I've heard of the issues before.

Both seem nice wheels, both sets I have are new so should last a while. I could just keep both as whilst in theory they were expensive and are both nice wheels, spares are handy. Seems a shame for one set to gather dust though..... And I can send the fulcrums back if needs be.

Re:

I've been using the Fulcrum Red Powers for a little while now. They're going fine and since they only cost £70 from CRC I really couldn't complain!

Back