Rear mech hanger extenders

Gregolas

Devout Dirtbag
Hi.

Has anyone got experience of using a rear derailleur hanger extender for a 1x system?
Basically I'm converting using a wide range 9 speed cassette and a 34t chainring. If my existing mech has too short a cage, would one of these solve my problem, rather than have to change the derailleur?
It looks long and vulnerable to me. Thoughts?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20180211-114841.jpg
    Screenshot_20180211-114841.jpg
    51.1 KB · Views: 664
I think that if you use a longer mech stop screw, a standard long cage mech can be good for at least a 40t ring

Re:

It's not really an issue of cage length that the extenders address, it solves issues with clearance between the big sprocket & the top jockey wheel when a longer B tension screw just won't cut it.

I've not used the type in the picture, which look a bit of a botch if I'm being honest, but I do use a WolfTooth Dogbone on a 10 Speed XT M786 Shadow mech. This replaces the standard part with a longer version & works a treat.

I've used an eBay one, worked like a charm. I dunno about vulnerable, but I'd rather break a £3 eBay extender than a mech or dropout tbh.

But, if try your current mech first, it might be ok.
If not try a longer b-screw.
Or try fitting the b-screw in from the other side on the mech.

Re:

Thanks. That clears things up a bit for me. I'll see what happens with what I've got and go from there.

Back