40+t Cassettes

dyna-ti

Gold Trader
MacRetro Rider
Feedback
View
What are the associated problems with these big cassettes ?, in terms of rear mech capacity :?

These old legs you see :oops:

I've a bike ive a long cage xo mech on and from memory the capacity was 39t, which i guess at the time was as big as they thought it could get, but with these 40t(hope) single cog, their 11spd11-44(if anyones tried such) and other 40t.

The cog I waqs thinking of adding was the Hope one 40, that you fit by removing the bottom 11/12 cog to make room. Any1 any experience of that ?

I'd heard there was issues concerning mech capacities, so before buying anything, though it best to enquire :D

Re:

I've not tried one of the expander sprockets such as the Hope, but use a Shimano SLX 11-42 in a 1 x 11 drivetrain on my gravel bike.
Do you have a mech to use? If so what is it? Edit: just read it's an XO mech.
Most issues are around the max tooth capacity of the rear mech.
Most times the mechs can exceed their suggested capacity by a small margin anyway. Best to get the long cage version of the mech though to make things easier from the start.
If you can't get enough adjustment on the b-tension screw to clear the biggest sprocket on the cassette then you can try using a longer b-tension screw, or even take it out and svrew it in from the other side on the mech.
Woltooth make the Goatlink which moves the mech down slightly and allows you to use a larger sprocket than the mech could normally handle. You can get similar mech extender hangers from eBay for cheap as well (I have one but not used it yet).

Your best bet is to try it with the parts you have already, and take things from there.
It might work as is.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20180127-205528-575x576.jpg
    Screenshot_20180127-205528-575x576.jpg
    50.9 KB · Views: 742
Righto guys :D on the strength of that I think ill give it a go. Especially with those wee add on bits. If its doesnt work its not a huge loss.

Re:

Usually to fit an expander cog you remove a sprocket from the middle of the range I thought not the 11 or 12t. Some companies provide a 16t and you remove the 15 and 17t from the middle range.

Edit: thought you were on about 10spd but for 11spd you take out the 17 or 19t but an 18t is available if you remove both http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/mobi ... prod148244

Kyle

Re: Re:

scottproonly":beudzx6l said:
It's easier to just buy a sunrace cassette in my opinion
Kes

Exactly this ^^^.

I think before the major companies had brought out their wide range cassettes then an expander ring was a good (or the only) option. Nowadays you can get wide range cassettes relatively cheaply.

Well this was a tenner, so no harm trying it.

Which I did and no surprise but somethings very wrong and the cassette is loose. Seems taking off the 11t cog has made more room than is needed. And the cassette lockring is now too narrow and the cog it sits against is too wide so it doesnt tighten anything.

Bit confused on the other cogs youre talking about Jim. Its a sram pg990 9spd cassette which is one solid block and 2 loose rings - the bottom 2. Cannot remove any of the main cogs, and swop out the bottom 11t and its loose, remove the other and the spacing is wrong.

Sunrace you say :?

Attachments

• Sunrace (Custom).jpg
    Sunrace (Custom).jpg
    106.1 KB · Views: 572

Latest posts

Back