Old 5 bolt hubs, new disc sizes - overlap?

coreygun

Retro Guru
I have a set of Hope BigUn hubbed wheels (5 bolt) and I want to put them on a bike with newer brakes, which will use 160mm discs. I can only see the older size (165/185) discs in 5 bolt.

Does anybody know if there were any 5 bolt 160mm discs available? I'm not sure when BigUn hubs were last manufactured, but they must've been around when 160/180mm became the norm?

mkone":m5mehdti said:
Yes, im sure you can get adapters to run 6 bolt discs.
A few discs were available in 5 bolt if i remember correctly, heres some ;)
https://www.rushcycles.co.uk/m63b0s225p ... 60mm-180mm

Mark

Thanks, I couldn't find any new. I don't think you would be able to get an adaptor to run a 6bolt disc on a 5bolt hub though as it's a wider radius spacing; whereas it would be possible to get an adaptor to run a 5bolt disc on a 6bolt hub.

Bullpup":3auhili2 said:
I have spoken to Hope about this in the Past. They will make discs to order.

Cool I wonder if it’s worth getting a few of us who want some might be a bit cheaper to do say 10 instead of 1.

I’d have a 203, a 183 & a 180
Corey what about you?

If you're using post mount brakes or post mount caliper on a post - IS adapter, you can just chuck a couple washers under the caliper.

I did this on my mtb when I changed the Hope C2 (185mm rotor) to a modern Deore brake as I didn't want to have to ditch the cool Hope lightning bolt rotor.

mechanicalvandal":brh4ldiw said:
If you're using post mount brakes or post mount caliper on a post - IS adapter, you can just chuck a couple washers under the caliper

Yeh I know but it’s IS.

Timoth27":3rclx4vj said:
Bullpup":3rclx4vj said:
I have spoken to Hope about this in the Past. They will make discs to order.

Cool I wonder if it’s worth getting a few of us who want some might be a bit cheaper to do say 10 instead of 1.

I’d have a 203, a 183 & a 180
Corey what about you?

I only need a 160, but depending on price I may take others as spares, perhaps 180.

coreygun":2stlve71 said:
mechanicalvandal":2stlve71 said:
If you're using post mount brakes or post mount caliper on a post - IS adapter, you can just chuck a couple washers under the caliper

Yeh I know but it’s IS.

Surely if your using new-ish calipers they will be post mount and use a pm-is mounting adaptor? If so just just put your washers between the caliper and the adaptor. You only need 2.5mm of spacers under there.

Back