Seatpost creak

kyle888

Senior Retro Guru
Feedback
View
I have a creaking that I think is the seatpost in the frame as I’ve tightened the seat rails but it’s still there and pushing the whole post front to back causes the creak.
It’s an alloy frame and I wondered whether I could put some Teflon grease on the inserted bit of the post? Or would this be a bad idea.

Thanks Kyle

Is it the correct size....stupid question I know, but I had the same: 26.8mm when it should have been 27mm = creak, creak, creak!
Coke can shim?

Re:

I tend to smear copper grease on parts where it makes sense, a small dab on a seat post won't do any harm, should prevent any stuck posts and may also prevent creaking.

The creak may be the seat post clamp, I had a tingle seat qr that creaked a lot, grease cured that.

Re:

Pretty sure post is the right size at 27.2mm. I have tightened the Allen key seatpost clamp a lot and it’s not as bad but still there. I’ll try some grease I guess

Re:

Always grease the post in the frame. Otherwise, at best it will creak, and at worst, it will become seized in the frame.
I remove, clean and regrease all mine a couple of times a year.

Re:

Thanks for the reply I haven’t had chance to look at it yet but will grease it up. I’m always a bit weary of greasing things like that incase it moves... but need to get over that.

Kyle

Re:

Always put a bit of something on the seatpost. Things that don't move (like seatpists) I tend to put a bit of copperslip on (unless it's carbon).
I'd thoroughly inspect the seatpost frame around the seatpost, saddle rails and saddle clamp.
It may be there's a crack or damage that's causing the creak.
Although last time I had a creak ftom that area I found it was the saddle rail clamp that was working slightly loose or the rails creaking in the clamp. A shot of wd40 on the saddle rails stopped it temporarily.
Try removing the saddle and moving the seatpost on its own, if you've not tried already.

All of the above, yeah. Always grease/lube a seatpost before installing it, as there are few things more frustrating than a nice frame with a stuck seatpost. As Mrgrumpy says, remove and check it a couple of times a year, just to be sure.

Also remove the main saddle clamp bolt and grease that too, and make sure it's torqued right up with a decent 6mm allen key. A dash of GT85/WD40 on the rails won't hurt either.

Re:

I did worry about the frame being cracked but it’s not very old and hasn’t had much abuse really. Moved position of seat so loosened and re tightened (seat basically new as well). Seatpost has two bolts for the rails so it’s pretty solid.
I’ve just greased it up and seems better upon quick inspection but will test later!

Thanks
Kyle

Back