Whats the US set up for levers ?

dyna-ti

Gold Trader
MacRetro Rider
Feedback
View
Is it the same as the UK, right side is front, left-rear ?.
Or vice versa :? like Europe.

Where else is right lever front brake ?.

Re:

I've never understood why some countries swap the front brake lever position around on bicycles; motorcycles always have front brake on the right, even in countries that drive on the wrong side of the road.

Re:

On old school bmx bikes I know the levers are the opposite way around but I'm unsure of modern road and mtb's

Re: Re:

xerxes":121qmdw3 said:
I've never understood why some countries swap the front brake lever position around on bicycles; motorcycles always have front brake on the right, even in countries that drive on the wrong side of the road.

Maybe that was so you could hold your shield in your left hand, for jousting and the like :?

Re:

Part of the reason why motorcycles have the front brake on the right is because the throttle has almost always been on the right. Some military motorcycles had it on the left so that the riders could operate a gun while riding, but I digress.
You just can't put throttle and clutch on the same side because it is kinda hard to coordinate moving the throttle while grabbing the lever. (not that that stops racers and experienced riders from blipping the throttle during downshifts while braking with the front).

On bicycles the front shifter is always on the left and the rear is on the right. That means most of the world has everything that controls the front on the left and everything that controls the rear on the right. Kinda makes sense, TBH.
Come to think of it, it's kinda like how on almost all motorcycles both brakes are on the right and clutch and gear lever are both on the left.

V-brakes (and side-pull brakes on road bikes) clearly were intended for front-left too, the cable run (especially at the front) is just unnatural when setting them up with a front-right setup. Shimano (who originated and still is based in a country where they have the front brake on the right) doesn't even have a version for front-right setups, that's how common the front-left setup is. On a global scale, it really is just a very small minority that has the front brake on the right-hand side.

Re:

it's kinda like how on almost all motorcycles both brakes are on the right and clutch and gear lever are both on the left.

As far as I know, all the older British bikes, prior to the 90s when some marques were resurrected, had the gears on the right, brake pedal and the drive chain were on the left.

hurricane+004.jpg

Re: Re:

xerxes":18ftnx8v said:

it's so you can brake with the gentler rear brake while signalling to make the "difficult" turn (right for the UK, left for Europe)

Re:

Vice-a-versa in USofA. I hired a MTB for a few days and it was no hassle for the shop to change the hydro levers over.

Hiring a roadbike for the day was far too much hassle for a shop to reroute the cables (and then back).

Back