Sram or Shimano 1x10 Superlight.

Twister

Retrobike Rider
Feedback
View
I'm being given sram XO shifters, front mech and M970 cranks. I'm thinking of putting them together on Mrs Twisters Superlight as 1x10.

Firstly, will the XO shifters work with sram or shimano cassettes? If both are compatible which do you prefer and why?

Same question regarding the rear mech, and aesthetically should the rear mech match the shimano cranks or the Sram shifters?

All input gratefully received.

Re:

You'll need an SRAM mech to match the shifters. Front mech doesn't matter, rear does due to cable pull ratio.

Cassette wise, I use both and there's not much between them. SRAM are available in more colours (spider for cogs), but that's just aesthetics.

I have a thing about mixing drive train parts, I don't mind running a totally different brand of cranks, but I prefer not to mix SRAM and shimano, it's just an OCD. Oddly I don't care as much mixing cassettes and I prefer SRAM chains and use them with Shimano gearing, i just dont like mixing gearing and cranks. You'll be fine running what you have together.

Personally I go like ishaw with SRAM chains. Shimano ones in my experience wear appallingly fast. Likewise I tend to pick SRAM cassettes - they are better-finished and I have a belief that they last longer.

Twister":2t2vkawu said:
Firstly, will the XO shifters work with sram or shimano cassettes?

Yes. Works with both. .

If both are compatible which do you prefer and why?

For shifters I prefer Shimano, mainly because I like Shimano rear clutch mechs.
Cassettes is usually what's got a deal on at the time, I've found no real differences between Shimano or Sram.

Same question regarding the rear mech, and aesthetically should the rear mech match the shimano cranks or the Sram shifters?

Shimano, but only because that's all I've used for years and years. I'm coming around to Sram though since fitting their Rival mech and shifters to my Gravel bike. In that application I actually prefer Sram 1x11 to Shimano.
Remember you can't mix Shimano and sram mechs/shifters.
Aesthetically I'd be more inclined to match the cranks to the mech, but it's a very personal thing. Plenty if other good cranks available besides sram and Shimano

For chains I usually go for KMC, seem to work well, and last.
Sram is a close 2nd though. Both KMC and Sram use Quick links or magic links to join the chain, much easier I find than Shimano chains and their special pins. The KMC links at least are reusable

Back