Cycle computers?

tintin40

Retrobike Rider
Gold Trader
98+ BoTM Winner
Klein Fan
Feedback
View
Are they a good idea ? Or a distraction? I find them a distraction. What do others find?

Re:

I thought I couldn't live without my Garmin 520.
Turns out I can.
Last year I was doing some "training " and a cycle computer came in very useful for all kinds of things eg heart rate, powah, mileage, navigating long rides etc.
This year I've been mainly bimbling along and tbh sometimes I don't take a cycle computer, or even turn on Strava on my phone, and it doesn't bother me one bit :)

I never had one until I was forced to. Wouldn’t have bothered otherwise.

Re:

I like them.

I don't think I'd be bothered so much by the non-GPS ones but with the GPS computers I like looking back over the rides, checking the elevation, finding the place I took the wrong turn etc..

Re: Re:

Sketchyxup":2lik3kvx said:
I like them.

I don't think I'd be bothered so much by the non-GPS ones but with the GPS computers I like looking back over the rides, checking the elevation, finding the place I took the wrong turn etc..

don't you find that trees stop the GPS working? Think i will try a computer. ANy body have a recommendation? Nothing to expensive or heavy :LOL:

Re:

I highly recommend the Garmin Edge 200,an excellent basic computer.I got mine 3 years ago and its spot on.Should be able to get one for around 50 or so quid.

Re: Re:

tintin40":3jxtq9df said:
Sketchyxup":3jxtq9df said:
I like them.

don't you find that trees stop the GPS working? Think i will try a computer. ANy body have a recommendation? Nothing to expensive or heavy :LOL:

No not at all, they are really quite accurate even in tree cover. I'v used a couple of different Lezyne models and have no hesitation in recommending them at all.

At the moment I've got one of these and it monitors everything I need and works faultlessly, they do plenty of other models which cater to different stuff/budgets.

http://www.lezyne.com/product-gps-super ... iUioUpl9hE

Re:

I spent years just using basic wireless cat eye ones, but eventually got a Garmin. Found it really useful so upgraded to a better one (810 I think). Never before cared to plan routes but found it strangely addictive using mapmyride and other tools to devise rides with a friend.

I also got a bryton ryder something or other quite cheaply, which is pretty good.

I believe they are expensive, the good ones. I have a spare and older android smartphone with a "garmin/sram or whatever it is called" lock stick to it and use that on my bike(s). with screen on all the time it lasts for 2 hours at least and normally that is enough for my trips. If I need more I just turn the screen off a few times. this way I have all the cycling apps including maps at hand.

I have a garmin edge 1000, love it to bits (also a garmin 610 and 620 watches for running). I love to look at my data afterwards...ok it tells me i'm total crap, but thats not the point.
On the mtb I don't look at much on the ride, excepton non tech climbs...otherwise too much crashing, but on the roadie, I look at a lot, mostly HR/cadance, also tells me the gear which I find handy with this 11sp stuff

Back