Kona Kula scandium 2012 advice

ishaw

Gold Trader
GT Fan
Feedback
View
I've recently acquired a mint frame, and whilst I didn't need another project, it seems I now have one.

M not sure what to do with it build wise, but thinking it should be different to any of my current bikes.

I'm not sure what fork travel the frame was designed for, but have a couple of 100mm options in the garage. Would these suit the geometry? I could go 120 or 130mm if needed but want to stick within the frames designed range.

Groupset wise, I've some m970 xtr, later 10 speed xt and x0.

Brakes I have some hope V2/4 or formula t1, but these may be overkill.

Not sure if I'll go 2x or 1x yet, any thoughts on he merits of either?

My aim is to keep it light.

Re:

I am totally convinced about the merits of 1x, especially Shimano 1x11. You can always keep at your optimal cadence never bogging down on the upshift. I feel like I am constantly accelerating and it is so rewarding I want to work harder.

I have set my Rock Lobster up as a 1x9 with 32 teeth front and back and a 100mm fork. My only compromise is 2.5" tyres, something else I am convinced about the benefits of - high volume tyres.

Good luck with the build and don't forget photos :).

Re:

Thanks, I may go 1x10 as I have the kit for that already if I use an e13 trs crank with xt or xo drive train.

Research suggests a 100mm fork, so I think I'm covered there.

Tyres I think I've got some 2.3 kicking about, though no idea on frame clearance.

Should be quite a simple build, aside from stripping the bits I need off another bike.

Back