Is their a knack

tintin41

Retro Guru
to separating a SRAM chain link? Wasn't the point of this type of link, so you didn't need a tool to separate and join a chain? My chain has only been joined for 3 rides and i can't separate it or is it me? :oops:

:LOL: i can remember when i first tried to seperate one, i tried using pliers :facepalm:

If you push too hard the plates bind on the posts so you just need the gentlest of squeezes with you fingers and slide together at the same time, as i said, if its not coming apart you probably are squeezing too hard :)

As you squeeze you will see the plates move together

Re:

My knack is to use long nose pliers.

Gripping opposite corners (fiddley) and squeeze, usually works.

Attachments

• link.jpg
    link.jpg
    30.6 KB · Views: 820
:) just a gentle squeeze with fingers, it is more of a knack than force needed, kinda like flicking your fingers, undone countless links all with just a gentle squeezeflick. As you can see by the picture the groove the links sit in is not much wider than the link itself, if you push too hard it just binds against the lower part of the pin, instead of the top part as when its together.

Re:

I had the nack, lost it, couldn't get it back and bought the right tool for the job. Never looked back.

Latest posts

Back