Stem for a longish bar

66 triumph daytona

Senior Retro Guru
Feedback
View
Im currently running 660mm bars on a 100mm stem.I`d like to go a bit wider(700mm),should I go 80mm on the stem or would I just about get away with running the 700mm bars on the current 100mm stem?Its on a 2003 hardtail XC frame.

You could try the 100mm of course but I reckon 80mm (or even 70mm) sounds sensible. They do kind of work in tandem (wider bars/shorter stems).

Re:

Seems the simplest thing to do is try the bars on the 100mm stem if it feels too stretched, change the stem ;)

Re:

I think 80mm would be a good stating point for you because, according to what I've read online, the general rule of thumb is:
For every 20mm increase in handlebar length - you should reduce stem length by 10mm.

So if you start with 660mm bars and a 100mm stem - and want to move to 700mm wide bars - you would reduce the stem by 20mm, which equals an 80mm stem.

I followed this rule when I moved to wider bars and it work out well for me.
But you'll have to try it and make your own mind up.

^yeah in theory, wider = shorter. Of course my newish FS bike came with a 700 bar and 80mm stem, and I went to a 720 bar with 100 stem. That and the new wider bar is 3 sweep and the 700 bar ws 9 sweep, geez I hate the sweep on that bar.
basically you need to try things to see what works.

Re:

I have a 720mm bar and I have tried several stems and I eventually found that 70mm was the best length for all round performance and fit for me
Kes

Back