Hope rear 6 bolt bulb tightenes when clamped up

dyna-ti

Gold Trader
MacRetro Rider
Feedback
View
Sold a pair of bulbs to another member who has reported a problem of the hub becoming stiff, with difficulty turning it when fitted in the frame with QR.
Hub(not built wheel)

We've been through a number of possible solutions inc replacing the internals spacer(goes under the freehub) but nothing is reporting as working.

TBH we're both pretty flummoxed by this and hoped one of you has had similar issues.
We're working on the next premise that the axle is worn somehow and when the loading is put on, its loading unevenly, thus we think causing a jamming(well not jamming per say, more hard to turn, though reported as it does, only not as you'd expect.

Our latest idea is to fit a 12mm bolt through axle(which i can send down) but tbh would that work :? might just end up as a dead end, and the member bought as qr, so i would think thats the plan, and being forced another route isnt really fair. Pair of bulbs isnt cheap and i'd rather he was happy.

Re:

Thanks for this Andy (it’s my hub) I cannot explain the problem other than I think that the shoulder on the axle that the 1 bearings inner race rests against is worn meaning the inner race is forced further inward when tightened up this in turn makes the non drive side end cap contact the outer bearing race on the outer bearing causing it to bind. Hope that makes sense and maybe someone can shed some light on what’s wrong and how to fix it as hub is otherwise in great condition and I want to use it.

Andy supplied it with new bearings but just to rule them out I have put new in but it haven’t helped. I have also emailed hope about this and will update when I have a response.

Thanks

Tim

dyna-ti":1cn68cs6 said:
Our latest idea is to fit a 12mm bolt through axle(which i can send down) but tbh would that work :? might just end up as a dead end, and the member bought as qr, so i would think thats the plan, and being forced another route isnt really fair. Pair of bulbs isnt cheap and i'd rather he was happy.

To be honest Andy the 12mm option would atleast rule out the worn axle and I have been considering this anyway (happy to buy parts from you) as my hecklers rear end is not the stiffest and I don’t really need a qr so I could use a 12-10mm bolt through would be fine. I would really like to know what’s causing this though.

malt":24zgbtor said:
If only to rule it out, does it make a difference with/without the cassette fitted?

Not actually tried it with cassette fitted so as you say just to rule it out will have a go and report back.

Could you list what you’ve tried so far also. I’ve got a few ideas but it’ll be worth knowing what you done so far.

Re:

Well I have swapped out Andy’s new bearings with mine and checked the spacers are the right size and fitted the right way around, also tried some end caps from an Xc hub all have the same effect smooth and free on the bench but tight as soon as you clamp it in a frame it tightens up and it sounds like you can hear it is rubbing on the non drive end cap.

Re:

The answer is probably yes, but are you sure the end caps are correct? I could be very wrong but are the xc end caps supposed to work on the bulb hubs?

Here's a pic or two of my bulb rear for comparison.

Attachments

• 2017-10-31 23.13.02.jpg
    2017-10-31 23.13.02.jpg
    39.9 KB · Views: 932
  • 2017-10-31 23.12.39.jpg
    2017-10-31 23.12.39.jpg
    33.1 KB · Views: 932
  • 2017-10-31 23.12.15.jpg
    2017-10-31 23.12.15.jpg
    29.5 KB · Views: 932
  • 2017-10-31 23.11.53.jpg
    2017-10-31 23.11.53.jpg
    64.3 KB · Views: 932
Re:

You are correct ishaw they are different (and my bulb ends are the same as yours) and it meant I had to spread the frame ever so slightly but it had the same effect as soon as you put pressure on it tightens up with what sounds like rubbing on the non drive end cap.

Re:

If you had to splay the stays, it sounds like the end caps or bearings haven't gone in to the correct depth in the shell.

Back