Gripshifts - XO or newer?

Zzxxyy

Old School Hero
I have never tried GS before and from the reviews I have read, they seem pretty good.

I have always been a Shimano RapidFire shifter guy so am unfamiliar with the world outside Shimano. There are many SRAM groups though. Which is very confusing to me.

1. From what I gathered, it seems that the 3x9 XO is much more affordable than the newer ones. But the new XX GS has 120 ball bearings! Price though is a few times over the XO.... worth it?

2. I also understand that I need the rear SRAM derailleur to work with the GS. Others can be mix match even with Shimano. Is that correct?

3. Any advice for a newbie going SRAM GS much appreciated too!

Both my new frames are 26.

Thx!

Re:

Does it have to be 9 speed?

I use Sram ESP which works well, 3x8. Dedicated rear mech though. No bearings in that!
Sram Xray shifters are Shimano compatible though Again, 3x8

Mike

Re:

You might find the 10 speed could be cheaper, especially with a good cassette.

Don't worry about the balls, we managed decades without them.

Re:

You can get GS to work with Shimano, the non-groupset SRAM GS such as the MRX range I believe is designed for this.

The groupset based GS do need an SRAM meh due to the cable pull.

I've actually got a set of xo GS and rear mech and also an SRAM 9.0 GS and rear mech (the top of the line prior to X0) not doing anything if you are looking to buy.

Thanks chaps.

Am not tied to 9-sp, but availability of components like cassettes would play a part in deciding which system to try. i am going to assume 9-sp is more avail than 8-sp.

thanks ishaw. i am looking to buy once i figure out which one to go to. but unlikely i would buy from the UK as the shipping would negate whatever savings i am likely to get. Online prices in Germany are pretty good for the XO range

thank again all

The Shimano compatible versions are behind the tech of the SRAM versions.

I have the full grip XO (looking for another rear myself in whatever speed). Don't mind GX/NX or whatever in the range, just silver.

Not sure what the difference are between them but they all have bearing races and metal parts from a quick look, just 10sp or 11sp

Back