difference in dual control levers & separate brake/shifter?

pondweed

Old School Hero
I've got to upgrade some mega9 shifters and came across the integrated ones.. 'dual control'.

I imagine they save some weight, but can anyone give me any pros and cons for each system?

I'm also considering the 9 speed thumbie option for longevity.

thanks

Re:

It was a short lived idea...there was probably a reason for that. Probably overly complicated for something that gets muddy?

Re:

The sti type clean up the bar area as only one clamp, handy if you want to fit dropper or fork/shock lockout levers.

I think the only real downside is if/when you want to change brakes or shifters, as you have to change both.

There was a period when the Shimano ones looked ugly as anything, around the 2000s I think (xtr m960 etc), but aside from that they look fine, work as good as separates. I've got some NOS xtr m970 ones I plan to use, and have a few xtr m952 on builds, and some xt m739s in a box somewhere.

are we talking shifter pod seperate from brakes/shifter pod integrated with levers... or are we talking the ones where the brake lever does both braking and shifting? I thought 'dual control' was the latter...?

Re:

Indeed, you are right, I'd lumped them together under the sti banner as the principle is the same aside from being able to brake and shift at the same time.

Hi had my first set on new prophet in 2008 when I didn't know about them, and i fell in love with them.

Neat on the handle bars

And one lever to work with for brakes and up and down gears - bliss

I have got dual control on most of my bikes and after 10 years I still love them

For me they are the equivalent to the improvement from flex stem to suspension forks.

However let keep it a secret so don't tell anyone else , let them suffer with 1980's style, they might as well use thumb gear shifters.

T'boo Ted":27nz1xpl said:
are we talking the ones where the brake lever does both braking and shifting? I thought 'dual control' was the latter...?

I don't know what Shimano were thinking when they brought out those levers?! :shock: just all kinds of wrong.
Same era as rapid rise rear mechs. Another not so great idea.
A very dark few years for Shimano imo.

Attachments

• shimano_xtr_shiftdiagram_03_f.gif
    shimano_xtr_shiftdiagram_03_f.gif
    17.1 KB · Views: 732
Yes Rapid rise works perfectly with these levers

When you have these levers you find out that all front mechs are like Rapid rise as when you lift the lever the front moves down towards the granny ring

so if you have a rapid rise rear mech it works the same, so lifting the lever moves the chain up the rear cassette

so its press down on the levers for going faster or lift the levers when you hit a hill.

I have rapid rise mechs on all my bikes with dual control

Come to think of it I have 2 bikes that still need converting so I will have some Hope Brakes and Julies up for grabs soon + plus 1 normal rise XTR mech!

jimo746":387g1fjl said:
Same era as rapid rise rear mechs. Another not so great idea.
Except the shifting from my 15 year old 9 speed M953(?) RR rear mech is STILL better than the brand new, all singing all dancing 11 speed on my new bike. Despite having 8 or 10 full seasons of racing on it.

The 960 and 970 mechs i have on other bikes also perform better than the 11 speed.

The DCLs worked no better or worse than anything else out there, unless you were remarkably hamfisted.

Re:

I agree. M970 and m952 are imho the best xtr groups. Never got on with m900 shifting, xt m739 was way better, m960 looked great aside from the shifters. M980 is good but m970 is nicer. Never tried 11sp, don't see the point.

Back