Hope Hub bearings.

davidj

Senior Retro Guru
I picked up a set of wheels with hope hubs recently but the bearings are a bit rough, especially the front. I have taken the bearings out and flushed them through before repacking with grease but I guess the damage is already done.

The 6804 (61804) 2RS bearings are readily available from £4 delivered a pair on ebay to prices 15x that at bike shops. Are they really any different, I don't abuse my bikes and I am happy to work on them so think the £4 option is for me. Or am I just throwing £4 away and will still need the bike shop ones later,?

Re:

I would say that the £4 bearings would be okay, but from my experiences of using sealed wheel bearings on cargo bikes the cheaper ones have tended to get sloppy a bit quicker..the seals tend to fall apart quickly too.

On my two sets of Hope wheels I've gone with SKF bearings, a little bit more £££ perhaps but seem to be doing the job well so far. I bought mine from Ebay (lancashire seals).

For what it's worth I would also invest in the proper Hope bearing drifts and hub support, especially if you haven't a decent work bench or socket set at hand.

hope this helps :)

Agreed that a bike shop will be costly compared to direct from a bearing factor. SKF, NSK and Minebea have all lasted for me. Avoid the cheap Chinese ones.

I would also remove the bearing seals and repack with a decent amount of decent grease.

Re:

Thanks for the replys. I have ordered the £4 bearings, well worst that can happen is I have to do them again and I do enjoy working on my bikes :).

I have a comprehensive socket set and sockets that will only place pressure on the outside race plus I have a home made bearing press so I am set to go. I will look to adding more grease under the seals too.

Re:

Don't worry about the grease, there should be enough already, you don't want too much in there.
Either way do it from the inside seal as you can leave it off if it goes wrong and bends or damages the lip.

You need to touch the inside and outside bearing races with you tools!
You have an axle involved. Not just the shell.

Which hubs are they.

Re:

It doesn't seem to have a model number on it, 9mm QR & disc compatible, probably a Pro 2 looking at the pictures on the web.

The bearings push in place first then the axle is installed from one side and secured at the other by screwing on the end cap. I am sure the socket pressing against just the outer race at installation is all I need.

The vendor claims the £4 a pair bearings are Austrian made and are specifically suited for bicycle wheels. I got an email to say they have been dispatched this morning :).

Re:

Replacement front Hub bearings duly arrived and were promptly fitted, I was just running a smear of blue grease around the outside seals when - you guessed it I spotted the bearing/axle spacer on the floor in front of me :facepalm: .

So glad I bought bearings at £2 each as I will have to knock one out to fit the spacer and fit a new one. While the new bearing arrives (vendor on Holiday till 14th) I have set about the rear hub and I am so glad I did! I thought it was a Bulb hub but it turns out to be an XC and they have different bearings, luckily I haven't ordered the bearings yet. It looks like I can have 10x 6001 2RS bearings delivered for £6.98 :shock: . I need four for the hub that leaves me 6 for any more mistakes :LOL: .

The outside freehub bearing is totally shot with loads of play, the axle bearings are actually pretty smooth. I could have got away with leaving them in place but I had to force the none drive side out to remove the freehub from the axle so that is probably damaged now.

I will order the bearings, plus I need some "Inside Circlip Pliers" to remove the final bearing in the freehub and start planning the re-assembly!

Re:

The 10 bearings for £6.98 arrived, along with some park tool circlip pliers and a park tool hammer and grease gun over the last few days. Today I set about the rebuild of the XC rear hub.

The freehub went back together well which was a surprise as the inner bearing was tricky to remove. First pair of bearings into the wheel hub were rough on assembly. More to do with my technique than a question of quality. So glad I wasn't paying £10 plus per bearing!

Second attempt went much better and the freehub installed ok. Now the rear wheel is complete I am so glad I did it. No more freehub wobble and the wheel spins very smoothly. Tomorrow I will clean up the rim and give it a ride :).

I have ordered a replacement £2 bearing for the front wheel so I can reassemble with the spacer in place. I still have 4 spare bearings for the rear but if I have to do it again I might look at getting the hope installation drifts. Front is easy enough with a headset press but the rear is complicated as soon as the axle goes in.

Back