Formula disc brakes

kipperthedog

Senior Retro Guru
Feedback
View
Does anyone have any experience of these?

Thinking of RX or C1.

Looking for something nicer than shimano m395s, but with a not too scary price tag!

Re:

I think they are good brakes based on experience. Parts are pricey but I've never had an issue with mine aside from needing a longer hose.

I've had 2 sets of RX brakes on my Bulls and found both of them bloody awful. Lots of stopping power, but they were always dragging and squealing. I've had several mechanics look at them and none were able to set them up properly.
Changing the stock rotors for a set of floating ones didn't help, adding adjustment knobs to manually set the bite point didn't help either, they just kept dragging.

Eventually I had another mechanic install a full XT setup on the bike, but by then I've had so much misery with the Formulas that it put me off disc brakes for good.
I rode the bike a couple of times after the brakes were fixed, but 4 years of misery was just too much. It's been in storage for 2 years, I don't even list it in my signature anymore. Really should get rid of it while it's still worth a little more than the cost of the brakes.

Re:

Good, good brakes. But not better than M395s...just lighter.
The main thing for Rxs is they are very light - but they are costly if anything needs replacing (seals, clamps etc). Advantage is if you're running SRAM you can get a matchmaker clamp and fit shifters and brake to it - they are fragile tho.
Rxs are also tiny and have much modulation and when set up well on a light bike, stop quick. I wouldn't use them for heavy full-sus tho.
M395s have less modulation but equal stopping power, and are easy to upgrade the calipers or pads, they also in my experience never fade. Shimano's Deores always squeal like mad, XT are great.

If you want to reduce size & weight; J&L Superlights are effing brilliant, better made than Formula, and that counts for a lot in terms of feeling secure on the bike when you need to haul on them.

Back