Marzocchi bomber z1 - help required

rugbyleaguebiker

Old School Hero
Picked up these in what I thought was a nice bundle of stuff off shpock, came with an orange gringo with a set of z4's that need some work and a giant gringo frameset that needs a lot of work. Anyway when got home and really checked stuff over noticed the brake stud holes have been butchered......apart from that they are in decent nick.
Should the studs for these be longer than normal, it looks like there is s smaller threaded hole set back and someone has made an horrific attempt at cutting a thread in the front bit?
If they're not salvageable might they be of use to someone as spares?

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    56.2 KB · Views: 755
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    57.8 KB · Views: 755
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    43.3 KB · Views: 755
Re:

I would see if a repair shop could throw in a heli coil to fix the threads.

If they were mine I'd try the heli coil 1st, and if that was impossible perhaps something more drastic and permanent.

I wonder if the brake stud was stuck at some point & someone drilled the center and messed up the threads bring it out.

Re:

Fully agree,a simple helicoil job should sort it.Getting on for 20 years these will have such issues.Still the best fork ever bar none.Stick a new set of oil seals in as you are at it and they will give centuries of trouble free use.

Re:

I've got a set of these forks that need some spares, same colour too. If you decide to move them on, let me know as I'm sure I could make a full set from both.

Re: Re:

eshew":3f2u1efc said:
I would see if a repair shop could throw in a heli coil to fix the threads.

If they were mine I'd try the heli coil 1st, and if that was impossible perhaps something more drastic and permanent.

I wonder if the brake stud was stuck at some point & someone drilled the center and messed up the threads bring it out.

It looks like it's a bad attempt of cutting a thread into the bigger outer hole, but don't the bomber studs thread into the smaller hole at the back. Should the bigger putter hole even be threaded?

66 triumph daytona":tfzucgkj said:
Fully agree,a simple helicoil job should sort it.Getting on for 20 years these will have such issues.Still the best fork ever bar none.Stick a new set of oil seals in as you are at it and they will give centuries of trouble free use.

Do you know of somewhere that still will fit the seals to these?

ishaw":5shp7c2f said:
I've got a set of these forks that need some spares, same colour too. If you decide to move them on, let me know as I'm sure I could make a full set from both.

In two minds at the minute, revamped and fully working they're probably way over spec for my kind of mountain biking, so moving them on might be a better idea than spending money on them. Would probably want swaps for something lower quality, maybe manitou mid range or decent condition judy's. If so you've got first dibs!

Re:

You should be able to get seals for those easily online. I've redone seals in four Z2's over the last couple years. I used the enduro seals. Easy to do, just need some seals, slickoleum, and golden spectro 125/150 oil, which is stock Marzocchi. PVC pipe split length wise as the seal driver, just make sure it's soft enough to peel apart and fit over the stanchions.

http://www.enduroforkseals.com/id50.html

Re:

Will see if the fitters at work can tap the threads and if an m6 bolt will threading there is a shop on,one that sells marzocchi z1 canti pins, then just the little task of seals and a service

Back