Retrobike Forum Index

It is currently Thu Oct 18, 2018 3:59 pm

* Login   * Register * Search  * FAQ

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 8:33 am 
Old School Grand Master

TD75 wrote:
'fattiman' - New I think this frame retails at £1699. I picked this one up for £600. No idea if thats a good price, but I've wanted an explosif since my teens. I've always had steel frames and I fancied a Titanium frame to see what the difference is. Frame looks lovely in the flesh. Currently collecting parts for the build, one things for certain, it will have Skinwall tyres. It's a real shame you can't get titanium Project 2's to match the frame.

If it was dent free, I'd say that was a steal. If my memory serves me well, Kona have been making this for 2-3 years now and I've only seen 2 come up for sale in the second-hand market. They were at ridiculous prices (and both pretty naff builds).

Personally, blackwalls would look ace - a ninja type build - all black...and I really think it would benefit from a proper suspension fork to make it an all purpose "go anywhere" bike. Ace :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 8:43 am 
Retro Guru

quite an expensive frame then. I agree black walls would look so much better than skins. I would also splash a few well chosen red anodised bits on too for good measure!

Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 5:57 pm 
Devout Dirtbag

al-onestare Frame is completely dent free. The scratches are only on the underside of the downtube, hardly worth worrying about really, I was just being picky. Frame also came with a tapered Hope headset already installed. Really lovely frame, will be interesting to see how it rides. I've never had a titanium frame before.

It will definitely be an all black build. Unsure if I'm going to keep the Hope headset or put something different in. Will most likely be a 2x drivetrain, I find I spin out with a 1x on the flat sections.

Can you get modern rear derailleurs in short cage option? Use to have it on my 1992 Lava Dome with triple back in the day and I just prefer the look. The only one I can find is a 'Zee' rear derailleur.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 7:14 am 
Dirt Disciple

TD75 wrote:
I've got a Kona Explosif titanium frame. What would be the best product to clean / polish it a bit? Any ordinary car polish or should I get something specifically for titanium?

Is there any pictures regarding that?

Post subject: Re: Re:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 7:16 am 
Dirt Disciple

fettler wrote:
Depends on the current finish, some titanium is polished like a mirror, some are media blasted & some are finished with Scotchbrite or similar. Pictures would help.

Totally agree with you brother! :D