Marzocchi Z1 CR 2001

DMC3000

Old School Hero
Can anyone give me some pointers on how to do a basic oil service and what is a good replacement oil to use for Marzocchi? I've seen threads saying that different brands vary for any given oil weight. Also that some motorbike oil makes the seals swell. If anything I'd lean to a slightly heavier oil as even with the compression dialled in it tends to dive easily.

They're on a hardly used bike and feel perfectly smooth but concious the oil is probably old so better to change it.

Is it just a case of undo lower bolts, drain oil, lowers off, top caps off and springs out clean up and rebuild?

I ran Motul factory line 10wt in my z1's - i also changed the stock springs to heavier red one as the are quite soft as stock.

if you can get hold of a manual - try setting the oil height at maximum as this will stiffen them up - you might be able to get this of the windwave website?

from memory, take the preload adjuster off and it has a small circlip under it. take that off and unscrew the topcap, then undo the bottom bolt and the lowers will come off - the lower bolts come right out and you dont have to tap them like you do modern forks

- hope this helps ,Dave

Back